We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama City to Colon

Whitesboro, New York
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Panama City to Colon

I may be taking a cruise out of Colon Panama. We would have to fly into Panama City. Does anyone know how far it is from Panama City as well as what our options are to get from the airport to Colon and back? Also any suggestions on where to stay in Colon?

Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama City to Colon

Colon is about 54 miles from Panama City. That's the length of the Canal, From the city, it takes about an hour to get there. From Tocumen Airport, a little longer.

There are three ways to get to Colon from Panama City/Tocumen. Taxi is one. I'm not sure what the cost would be from Tocumen, but from Panama City, it's about $75 one way. If you decide to take a taxi, you should negotiate a price with the driver before you get in the cab. If you don't like the price, go to the next cab.

The second way is by a hired car and driver. The cost will be similar to a taxi. There are a number of drivers who have been reviewed here on TA, such as My Friend Mario. You'll also find contact information in the forum.

The third way -- and least expensive -- is bus. The terminal is in Albrook, one of the suburbs of Panama City. (It's all close.) Taxi fare to the Albrook bus terminal should be $35 including tip.

There are a few good hotels in and around Colon. The Melia is just outside Colon, on Gatun Lake. The Four Pointes Sheraton looks very nice, and it is at the entrance to the Free Zone -- an enormous assemblage of huge warehouses. Downtown Colon, there is the Radisson.

Colon, the city, has a well-earned reputation as a major crime district. If you are staying downtown you need to be very vigilant. It's not a particularly safe area for walking around unless you know it well. But, the hotels are safe and as long as you stick to taking taxis, you're safe coming and going. If you stay at the Sheraton, there's really nowhere to walk. You can certainly walk around the grounds at the Melia. All of the hotels are about 15 minutes by taxi from Gatun Locks -- certainly worth seeing.

I hope this helps.

2. Re: Panama City to Colon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 06:15