We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bocas to Zapatilla

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bocas to Zapatilla

How long does it take to get from Bocas town to the beach at Zapatilla?

Mentioned in this post
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bocas to Zapatilla

It appears to be a 30 minute water taxi ride. You will most likely have to charter a boat to get you there unless you are staying somewhere that includes a transfer.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 22:03
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bocas to Zapatilla

There are no hotel, stores or otherwise on the Zapatillas. It really depends on how fast the boat you are on. I would say an average of 40 or more minutes or if you are sailing,, 3 hours.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bocas to Zapatilla

Excellent. Thanks, Everyone!

Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bocas to Zapatilla

The distance between Bocas town and Zapatillas is about 15 nm (over 17 miles) so estimate of 40+ minutes is very fair estimate for an average panga..

Mentioned in this post
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bocas to Zapatilla

Thanks again. We'll probably go by water taxi or whatever way is fastest. I read somewhere that it takes an hour and a half and I was hoping it wasn't true.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bocas to Zapatilla

Why are you going if I may ask. It is a very popular destination for tours but besides that there is nothing there. I have heard you can stay the night with permission from the ranger. Taking a boat alone will be very expensive. If you just want to check it out you can go cheaper by going on a group tour.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bocas to Zapatilla

We've heard it's beautiful and we thought it would be a nice, quiet way to spend a day on the beach. From what I've read, it sounds like there's at least one place to have lunch there, but maybe I'm wrong about that...as far as a tour goes, I'm afraid we aren't very good tour people. If everyone wants to go left, I guarantee you we want to go right. There's always got to be a rebel, you know.

Go Pack! ;o)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bocas to Zapatilla

I dont think there is food there unless some enterprising Indians set something up. I dont think so though. Its in a national park so it would be very illegal. You may be thinking of starfish beach which now does have a little food shack. You can easily get to the zappatillas on your own if your not on a budget. It is an incredible place for sure.

Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bocas to Zapatilla

Zapatillas are beautiful. One of my favorite places in Bocas. If you go on your own you may want to explore both islands (there are two of them close to each other). Good snorkeling on the reefs between islands. There is no food on Zapatillas.

There is a nice place for lunch on your way to Zapatillas at Kraal Cay (Crawl Cay) which offers lunch and drinks... There is also a good snorkeling around the restaurant. Most tours stop there.

tripadvisor.in/LocationPhotos-g298425-d30933…

Mentioned in this post
Bocas Town
Bocas Town
Isla Colon, Panama
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bocas to Zapatilla

Thank you both for your help! It is appreciated!