We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tocumen Car Rental Advice

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Tocumen Car Rental Advice

I have traveled to Panama several times and have rented from Hertz at Tocumen Airport. It's always been a good experience but their prices have consistently increased over the past several trips. I have seen other car rental companies (Avis, National, Alamo, Budget) offer lower rental rates but would like to know of people's experiences - good and bad.

Appreciate any advice that folks have to offer...

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tocumen Car Rental Advice

We have rented from National. They are all basically the same in price after tax's and the other insurance's they make you pay for. What we didn't like is that they have zippo maps of Panama and the roads. Make sure you try to get good maps of the country and better yet, good driving directions, because most streets aren't marked.

If you are staying in PC I honestly wouldn't even recommend a car. You would be better off with taxi's and shuttles. If you are leaving PC and want a little more freedom to sightsee then a car is good - and way cheaper than flying on Air Panama.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,583 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tocumen Car Rental Advice

Remember you will need the card to go on Corredor Sur - I don't know if the agents actually sell them.

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tocumen Car Rental Advice

Thanks Florence...

Hertz doesn't require purchase of CDW if your credit card has it... National is one of the car rental agencies that happens to be lower than Hertz. Did National allow you to opt out of the insurance (CDW) if your credit card has coverage? How was National to deal with in general?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tocumen Car Rental Advice

Hi there!

I didn't rented from Hertz, but last time i rented from Traveler's choice Limousine Services they gave me the best rate and luxury which gave me so much satisfaction. I think you should check it either they provide the services in panama region.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,583 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tocumen Car Rental Advice

Do they have a website ?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tocumen Car Rental Advice

We didn't opt out of anything since we don't have auto insurance or any such coverage on credit cards. We sold everything in the US to be able to live elsewhere (which is very freeing). We only rent a car when we have too so we pay the insurances suggested.

If you decide you want a shuttle service in PC let me know and I can send you a contact. Like I said, I wouldn't rent a car to tour around PC, there are too many taxi's and shuttles which makes it way easier to get around.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tocumen Car Rental Advice

"Do they have a website ?"

Are you asking me..??

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,583 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tocumen Car Rental Advice

Yes, Andrew - does this service that you recommend have a website ? How does one contact them ?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tocumen Car Rental Advice

Their Website is www.dcairportlimos.us and you can call them via Toll free number which is 1-800-720-3818. this site is for Washington DC metro area but i know they are offering Limo and Sedan service in all over USA. If you give them a reference of "Lori Vincent" they will do some discount, she is my GF :)

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,583 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tocumen Car Rental Advice

We are talking Panama City in Panama here. Are you ?