We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccines and meds

Sacramento
1 post
Save Topic
vaccines and meds

Have been told to get typhoid shot, yellow fever shot, malaria medicine. BUT there is controversy over side effects of malaria med, Larium or Mefloquine. Travel med agent suggested Malorone or Doxycyline. Your rec? Thanks. Doc1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccines and meds

MD working in the US, grew up in Panama. Yellow Fever vaccination is mandatory in Panama. I've never taken Malaria meds. in my many years there and frequent visits. Malaria is infrequent but not impossible. There are other mosquito-transmitted diseases like Dengue Fever which are not preventable by meds or vaccines. The best recommendation, if you're going to be outside (not in the city), use DEET, just like you would in the U.S. to prevent West Nile. Yellow Fever vaccine is easy to do. Never heard of Typhoid being recommended for Panama. BTW, the water is OK to drink, and MUCH better than any city I've been in the US.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccines and meds

I've seen a lot of inacurate information on the internet. A website recommends a gamma-globulin shot for hepatitis A (absurd and ineffective), cholera vaccine (discontinued and innecessary), and vaccinations that everybody should have (like Polio, Tetanus, etc.). BTW, vaccinations in Panama are provided for free by the government and there is a very high vaccination rate (99%), so the local population is well covered.

CA
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccines and meds

Thank you all so much. I appreciate your information. Upon internist's advice, and after CBC panel screening, I did opt to have Hap A, Yellow Fever, and Typhoid shots. No problem. It seems that most Californians adhere to what is on the CDC site, as did I. I am so excited about visiting such a beautiful city in a wonderful country. Doc1

CA
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: vaccines and meds

Sorry for the typo; it's Hep A. And I did get Malarone prescription filled. Realize that Dengue is not treatable etc. Am not worried and am good to go around the world now. Thanks again. Doc1

5. Re: vaccines and meds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 14:15