We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

panama travel local style

tampa
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
panama travel local style

I am a woman traveling alone to Panama for the first time in July for about 10 days. I am interested in finding the best of the local style hotels, restaurants and places of interest. I am considering buying some property and would like to see as much as I can while also vacationing.

I am interested in surfing (Im not good at it), live music/jazz, local art and crafts, and some relaxation without it being too touristy.

Can anyone give me some great ideas?

Thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: panama travel local style

Panama city is very cosmopolitan and to some degree you need to travel to the countryside to get a sense of local culture. About hotels, it all depends on your budget. I don't think there's a Panamanian style hotel in Panama city, but the Hotel Panama is an older classic hotel in Panama city with lots of activities in and around it. You'll find lots of local crafts and art at craft markets (like the one at Panama Viejo) or art at local galleries. For traditional Panamanian food try Tinajas (it has a show some nights) or Trapiche (more informal), but also take advantage of the great international food offering (1985, Angel, 7 mares, Manolo Caracol, etc.). There are several Jazz bars in the Casco Viejo area (Take Five, and others). Hope it helps.

tampa
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: panama travel local style

THANKS! for your help with this. When I travel, I enjoy tasting all the local food, and learning as much about the local people as I can. This really helps.

I live in Florida where we have our fair share of tourists year round, and I am trying to get away from that whole feel.

IF you come up with any other restaurants or clubs to try, I'd appreciate it. I am willing to spend whatever if it is worth it.

Thank you again!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: panama travel local style

I would definately suggest getting out of the city and going to El Valle in the province of Cocle. It's very pretty and "local". Also, if you're willing to drive, there are some surf places in the provinces of Veraguas and Herrera. Check out www.surfpanama.com (i think). Also, to find out about things going on, go to www.panama2night.com. That will tell you about all the clubs, events, parties, that will be going on while you're there.

tampa
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: panama travel local style

sounds like a great idea, thank you for your suggestions!

5. Re: panama travel local style

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 09:19