We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with must do tight PC 2 day itinerary

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Help with must do tight PC 2 day itinerary

We are family of 4 arriving to PC late Thursday afternoon and departing Sunday at 3 to Bocas by Air Panama. Really want to do/see the following during the 2 and a half days and would like to have a guide for casco viejo/panama viejo/embera village so we can learn a little about the area/people

1. Train to colon 2- embera village 3- miraflores locks 4 - casco viejo 5 - panama viejo (would also like to see portobello or lake gaton but could skip it)

Any suggestions as to the best way to order/organize this and also do on a tight budget as well as best guides or tour company for this

Toulouse, France
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with must do tight PC 2 day itinerary

Hello,

Ok well the best way to enjoy these two days is to contract with an agency.

To visit Panama City there is a full tour: you visit of Casco Antiguo and Panama la Vieja, then you visit the Amador Causeway (beautiful view of the Bay of Panama and the canal entrance) and of course you visit Panama Canal at Miraflores locks . This tour lasts about 5-6 hours.

Then to visit the Embera indigenous community it takes the day. You will go by boat to the village. Then a guide will explain the traditions and history. Then you will enjoy a typical meal.

Regarding the train to Colon it leaves early in the morning from Panama. You can combine it with a visit to Portobelo. This will last between 5 and 6 hours minimum.

You can check with www.triptopanama.com. This tour operator offers good service and a good price / quality ratio. The advantage is that they prepare customized trips so you tell them what you want and they will prepare the trip to your needs.

I hope the information will help you.

Have a great holiday in Panama

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,862 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with must do tight PC 2 day itinerary

The train only runs weekdays - so you would have to do that on the Friday.

Your list strikes me as too much for the time you will have.

Many people suggest that you don't need to have a guide for many of those places - certainly you can go to Miraflores in a taxi without needing a guide. With the museum at Panama Viejo, I think that everything is only in Spanish.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 05:52
Gloucester, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with must do tight PC 2 day itinerary

You can do a lot in two days. Here's what my wife and I in June:

Day 1: We arrived in the morning, visited the Miraflores Visitor Center - must see; then hired a taxi to show us Amador and Casco Viejo. Checked into the hotel, ate there, and went to bed early.

Day 2: In the morning we took a 1 hour helicopter sightseeing ride (Helipan) and saw the entire Panama Canal including Lake Gatun and the Chagres River. We also flew around the new section of Panama City including the D Trump and Tornillo (spiral) buildings. We were picked up and returned to our hotel by a driver from Helipan. We ate lunch in the Casco Viejo and spent the afternoon at the Canal Museum. All the signs and descriptions are in Spanish (NO English), but since I speak Spanish I found the museum fascinating and stayed until it closed. My wife enjoyed it too, but tired quickly because she does not speak Spanish. Fortunately, there was a Botero Exhibit there too, so that is where she killed time. We left Panama really early the next morning, It was a perfect two-days at the Panama Canal one year before its 100th anniversary!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
12,862 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with must do tight PC 2 day itinerary

Dear Will,

That sounds great. Do you mind me asking - how much was the helicopter tour ? How long did it last ?

Gloucester, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with must do tight PC 2 day itinerary

It was great. After contacting the website at www.helipan.com I made the arrangements by e-mail (see below) The flight lasted a hair over one hour from take-off to touchdown and cost ~ $750 (for up to three people which I paid by credit card AFTER the completion of the flight card. That was all there was to it!

Both the office manager - Patricia and the pilot - Al spoke English.

Dear Willard:

In response to your e-mail in fact we offer a Panama Canal Tour by helicopter, this tour offers to fly above Panama Canal Locks (Pedro Miguel, Gatun, and Miraflores Locks), including a Panama City Tour. This tour is for an hour.

The helicopters we offer and their capacity:

ROBINSON R-44 (capacity of 3 passengers + pilot) $720.00 per hour, plus 7% taxes.

ROBINSON R-66 (capacity of 4 passengers + pilot) $1,100.00 per hour, plus 7% taxes.

Please find attached hereto reservation form, to be filled up with information required.

For any further information, please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Regards,

HELIPAN CORP.

Patricia M. Castillo S.

Marcos A. Gelabert Airport, Albrook - Panama

Hangar #16-A

P.:+(507) 315-0452/53

C.: +(507) 6678-7595

F.: +(507) 315-0534

salesoffice@helipan.com

helipan@cwpanama.net

www.helipan.com

Edited: 04 August 2013, 03:31
6. Re: Help with must do tight PC 2 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 06:20