We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to start? Panama with 10 mo. old....

Fairbanks, Alaska
5 posts
Save Topic
Where to start? Panama with 10 mo. old....

My husband and I travel extensively. We don't like all inclusive "safe" resort type traveling, but we do not even know where to start as far as Bocas with our new baby. He's a sailor (the hubby, not the baby... yet) and would like to be able to be on the water or day trip sail from whatever destination we choose. Any suggestions? We love diving, snorkeling, surfing, sailing, beach combing, hiking, etc. Ps... We aren't rich. ;)

Central America
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to start? Panama with 10 mo. old....

We've been cruising Panama for a couple of seasons now so I can help you w the sailing, but zero baby experience.

There are day sail operators as well as charters out of Bocas. Actually sailing around Bocas is not so great though, the wind is usually calm, but the day trip boats do take guest snorkeling etc.

Have not bothered to raise my sails there for the past two cruising seasons, but the archipeligo is a good cruising ground with lots of good anchorages, snorkel spots, etc. More wind in E Panama.

You can do all the things you list above in your post in the Bocas area.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to start? Panama with 10 mo. old....

...and there are a wide range of accomodations to choose from in the Bocas area from Hostal to upscale. May be easier for you to coordinate baby and activities if you stay in Bocas Town proper...most water based activities originate from there...and there are some good grocery stores there where I expect you can find baby stuff.

Fairbanks, Alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to start? Panama with 10 mo. old....

Thanks for the info. It gives me a good place to start our search. We are hoping to ex-pat from the US one day and are spending this season traveling with that in mind. Our Panama visit is dual purposed in that sense, and in an extended visa run from CR. We not only have the baby, but a dog too. Gonna be a new sort of travel for us. Usually we just show up somewhere and wing it... Our new additions require planning ahead! Ah!!! ;)

Central America
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to start? Panama with 10 mo. old....

Panama certainly has a lot going for it as a place to live. We live in Guatemala, but have spent much of this year in Panama. Lots of expats, and cruisers, in Bocas...drop by the Calypso Cantina in Bocas Marina early on a weekend night and you will find them there. Or over to Los Secretos for excellent pizza on Saturday or Sunday. You will need to take a water taxi to either of these locations...Calypso is very close to Bocas Town...Los Secretos is a longer run. But you will find expats at both. Also often at Rip Tide on the N end of Bocas Town.

In addition to Bocas there are concentrations of expats in Panama City, Boquete, Volcan and probably a few other places I have not discovered yet. All will be more than willing to talk w you.

Fairbanks, Alaska
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to start? Panama with 10 mo. old....

Good to know. Silly question, but would the water taxis mind dogs? What about restaurants, etc?

6. Re: Where to start? Panama with 10 mo. old....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 06:21