We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help regarding rental car locations.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help regarding rental car locations.

Hi everyone. I'm planning a trip to Nicaragua, CR and Panama in August. I plan to drive in CR (Alamo rental car) and drop off the car at Paso Canoas (Alamo has an office there). Planning to spend a week in Panama slowly working my way down to Panama City and the canal. Is there any rental company at the CR/Panama border on the Panama side? Any help/suggestions are welcome. Totally excited about the trip and can't wait to be in Panama :). Thanks in advance for your help.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help regarding rental car locations.

No ,there is no rental car agency at the border. You'll have to turn in your rental car in Costa Rica and either fly or take the bus to Panama. The nearest rental car company is at the airport in David. But for what you'll end up.paying in drop off fees when you get.to Panama City, you will be better off flying or taking the bus to Panama City and renting the car there.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 03:14
Boquete, Panama
Level Contributor
168 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help regarding rental car locations.

Take the smaller bus from Paso Canoas to David. It takes just over an hour and is very comfortable. Bus travel in Panama is easy and efficient. From the David station, you can get a direct bus to Boquete, Volcan or even Bocas. The direct bus to PC takes 6-7 hours with one break in Santiago. The David airport (about $2-3 by cab) has about 8 different agencies to rent.

Car rentals are very expensive and will cost an extra $180 to drop it off in PC and all kinds of extra charges when you return the car just because

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help regarding rental car locations.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be traveling with my wife and 5 year old son and at least 2 suitcases (I think) That's the reason I've been considering the rental car option.

SJCRA
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help regarding rental car locations.

I suggest not to even consider Alamo. Used them over the weekend and they scam me in thinking we are signing to waive the insurance.

I am dealing with them now. Quoted a specific amount for a 3-day rental and when we drop off the car, they are charging me triple the quoted amount.

If you want a worry-free vacation, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER ALAMO!

Edited: 23 May 2014, 15:54
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,195 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help regarding rental car locations.

The same company in different locations are likely to be different.

All the agencies at Tocumen airport seem to be worse than other branches of the same companies.

6. Re: Help regarding rental car locations.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 06:18