We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renewing Vows...in PC or a beach...on New Year's Day...????

AZ
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Renewing Vows...in PC or a beach...on New Year's Day...????

Friendly advice-givers,

I will be in Panama for three weeks, from the end of Diciembre onward (after Navidad). I will be celebrating my 15th wedding anniversary on 1/1/15. Yes, we were married on Y2K. I am working out my itinerary for my family (wife and 2 kids ages 8 & 11). I would like to surprise my wife with a vow renewal, possibly on a beach, boat (captain?), or wedding venue in PC. However, I am stumped in finding anything on the web to assist with this. I am thinking PC would be a good idea, so we can catch the action the night before as well. However, the beach idea is also attractive, since I live in Arizona, which lacks such things and Panama has in abundance and on islands. However, finding someone to perform the ceremony could be troublesome, even on New Year's Day (there has to be some judge or minister who wants to make some quick and easy dinero, no?). Another option would be to get on a dinner cruise or some other boat, and have the captain perform it, I believe they are certified to perform the ceremony? Any ideas or anyone with experience doing this, please help! There will only be the 4 of us (plus the master of the ceremony). Is there a directory somewhere online that offers such services?

Bonus Question: Are there any virtual tours of the streets of Panama City? Surprisingly, Google Maps doesn't have that feature (although I was able to cruise the neighborhoods in the prefectures of Japan when I visited there several years ago).

Once I take care of the deed, I will be visiting the rest of this beautiful country. However, I am tied to the date of 1/1. Perhaps there will be no hope for me on this day since most of Panama is on holiday....?

Thanks in advance!

Coronado Concierge Panama
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Monkey Island Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renewing Vows...in PC or a beach...on New Year's Day...????

Your best bet is to contact some of the larger hotels/resorts and ask them, it is going to be hard to find anyone New Years day, everyone parties hard.

It wont be cheap, you wont find a local willing to do it for little dinero, only ones assiciated with the resorts might, you will get gringo pricing.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renewing Vows...in PC or a beach...on New Year's Day...????

Considering you are not legally doing anything you can use anybody you want to do it. you probably just need to provide the words.

Jomtien Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renewing Vows...in PC or a beach...on New Year's Day...????

I think CDY is too practical, not romantic enough. You hit it, geojack. First, congratulations, Ginjer, it's a fine thing you want to do. In fact, I can see resort employees loving the idea of joining in, making it more than just a minister, official or otherwise, if informed far in advance. Heck, I'd bet a lot of resort revelers, esp on New Year's Day, would love to witness it as well, and cheer and applaud. Your children would love that (in two years or so, they'll be wishing the earth could swallow them). So, I think a beach resort would be better than Panama City. The only paid person would have to be the "minister," but hotel probably can arrange that, with enough notice. Let us know how it goes, please.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renewing Vows...in PC or a beach...on New Year's Day...????

Haha- dimas - I have been accused of that before.

Whereever you have it don't do it early - Locals party very hard and late, best bet early evening New Years day.

Jomtien Beach...
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renewing Vows...in PC or a beach...on New Year's Day...????

Hey, glad you're a good sport. No harm meant. Yes, you're right on that about nothing early. I've celebrated many New Years in Mexico/Centram. They don't get up early, if at all, but I'm figuring that resort employees will have to have their wits about them, if they scheduled to work.

6. Re: Renewing Vows...in PC or a beach...on New Year's Day...????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 07:17