We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Panama in February- eco friendly hotels?

Astoria, NY
1 post
Save Topic
Travel to Panama in February- eco friendly hotels?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Panama for this February and need help picking an area to visit. We are both history teachers, young and very active. We would like to go someplace where we can get to see the "real" Panama, do some hiking and snorkeling, and explore the rainforests. Originally, I was researching a trip to Costa Rica, but several people have told me that Panama is even prettier and quite a bit cheeper. I'd love to find a hotel that is both beautiful and eco-friendly, we don't mind paying a bit more as long as the area and hotel is worth it.

This is my first time using a forum to ask for suggestions.. thank you for any advice you have for us!

Michelle

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
622 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Panama in February- eco friendly hotels?

There are many "real Panamas", so it depends on what you want to do. Panama city is modern, noisy, busy and very entertaining, but it has a lot of culture and history. It also has a very cosmopolitan make-up, so you can enjoy the Panamanian version of many cultures together and getting along, a bit crazy but it works. To get a taste of the real Panama city, a good cab driver can take you and you can visit not only the touristy sites, but you can go to La Central for example, a pedestrian street with long history of shopping. Some things the cabby can just drive you through, for example, "el solar de los aburridos" a very well known little square where men just play domino all day. There are many Panamas, you can catch glimpses of them in Panama city, but for some you have to visit different areas. The afro-antillean Panama (Colon), the Kuna indians, the emberas, the Ngobe, the people from the "interior" such as Azuero peninsula, slow paced, pleasant. There are eco resorts mainly in some hard to reach areas. The Kuna indians have several, so I think this could be a good place for you to consider for some of your stay, the San Blas archipielago is just spectaular.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
63 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Panama in February- eco friendly hotels?

Canopy Tower and its sister accommodation, Canopy Lodge, might be considerations.

They're geared toward birders, but offer eco-friendly (they even request you bring biodegradable shampoo), all inclusive packages -- room, meals, AND tours. We just came back from a week at the Tower and had an incredible time. We're planning on going to the Lodge next year.

I have a feeling you can get the one week package and split your time between the Tower and the Lodge. At least there's no harm in asking if you're interested.

Their websites:

www.canopytower.com

/www.canopylodge.com/

I'm sure others here will come up with additional ideas to choose from.

But Panama is a great choice, in my opinion.

Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Panama in February- eco friendly hotels?

We thought Canopy Tower was way over-priced for what you get--$175-200 a night per person, meatloaf for dinner, and all the best birding trips are extra, not included in the per night price.

4. Re: Travel to Panama in February- eco friendly hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 02:21