We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio Hato Airport

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rio Hato Airport

Thinking of returning to Panama in Jan 2015, have heard that a new airport was built but isn't in use yet for charters from Canada. Anyone have an update ?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio Hato Airport

Sunwing is working every Friday from Toronto. Rio Hato Airport ready.

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio Hato Airport

Thanks Manuel, I looked into booking with Sunwing, and found that they don't sell packages to the Decameron....For Canadian travellers, Nolitours seems to have an exclusive on the resort, and when our rep inquired, she was told that plans are to continue using Panama City airport and subjecting their guests to the two hour bus ride. Makes a strong case for choosing one of the other resorts I guess.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio Hato Airport

Why do you try with Sunwing and with Riu Hotel week package? Riu is a new hotel have just one year opened, and I think that can be better compare Decameron. Also you don't have the 2 hours by bus plus traffic to come to the Hotel. Is too much the price difference between Air Transat and Sunwing?

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio Hato Airport

The price difference wasn't an issue, but I wasn't too impressed with the Trip Advisor reviews on the RIU. My wife and I typically do the planning for a group of 15 to 20 people, and we stayed at the Decameron once and found it to be satisfactory. At this point I'm starting to lean towards the Sheraton Bijao, as it's close to the new airport and gets reasonably good reviews. Too bad, I have stayed at RIU resorts quite a few times, and usually like them. I suppose it's just going through some startup difficulties, and will improve with time.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio Hato Airport

Now I understand. Sheraton is a huge hotel, with beautiful beach compare with playa blanca area. I understand that they service reputation is in good range. Sometimes..Customer Service in Panama is hard!

Ontario
Level Contributor
165 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio Hato Airport

Great news that the new airport is up and running! We are planning a trip to the Sheraton in October but were reluctant due to the long transfer from the airport! now under 30min is awesome! Can't wait to experience Panama!

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
250 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rio Hato Airport

Is just 15 minutes to Sheraton! ;)

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rio Hato Airport

YES, it's operational but limited. It was an amazing experience to fly into it, but wish there'd be more airline choices. We went via Sunwing which was fine on the way there, but terrible on the way back…

And by the way, I posted a video of the airport on YouTube :)

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rio Hato Airport

Stay away from playa blanca. We are stuck here for the winter. It is nightmare,, you will regret it. The best way to describe playa blanca and the Riu is, no authority, no regulations, no safety.

Thy let the anyon in who has 5 bucks. These weekend rich kids rom 9 to 19 drive anything on the beach. The sound blasters are out of this world,

stay away . Go to Decameron. You will love it

10. Re: Rio Hato Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2016, 05:15