We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
801 posts
262 reviews
Save Topic
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Pretty much on the spur of the moment I purchased a ticket to Panama city(April 14th-19th). I am a 30 year old teacher who will be travelling alone. Anyhow I was wondering if 5 nights in Panama City is too much. Are there plenty of day trips from the city. I was planning on booking a hotel for 5 nights, but if 5 nights is too much, I could book one for less nights ,a and spend a night or two in a different area. Also is it safe to rent a car and just go exploring? What would you do if you flew into Panama city, and had no limitiations except you had to fly out of the same city in 5 days. Thanks in advance!

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any help would be greatly appreciated

Panama City is an excellent base for 5 nights.

You can see:

Casco Viejo

The canal - Miraflores locks

El Valle - about 2 hours away

Portobello about 2 hours away the opposite direction

Take a boat out to Tobago

Take a daytrip to Gamboa

The above will take up most of your stay.

Being a (I am guessing) single guy you want to stay in PC, there is great nightlife and plenty of good restaurants.

One thing I will warn you, make sure you get hotel reservations, getting a flight is the easy part, finding a decent hotel that is not full is the hard part.

As far as renting a car, take a taxi when inside PC, if not going on a tour, rent a car to see the sites outside of PC, driving is pretty easy once you are out of the city.

There are a number of others on this forum who can recommend a good tour company if you want someone else to show you the sights.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any help would be greatly appreciated

To add to CDY's list:

Embera Indian Village tour (Embera Drua is best)

While in Casco Viejo - Canal Museum (closed Monday's) and the San Jose Church with its Golden Altar...

If you want a beach day - Santa Clara - could combine with El Valle.

Train trip to Colon and back and arrange tour on other side to Gatun Locks and Portobelo etc. departs Panama at 7:15am, returns from Colon at 5:15pm. You don't want to be walking around Colon on your own so you need to arrange something for the day.

Metropolitan Park - jungle walks right in the city.

Amador Causeway - walking, bike rentals, great views of the city and a number of decent restaurants to choose from.

There is more than enought to keep you busy for 5 days and you will certainly enjoy the nightlife in the city.

Cheers,

Andrew

3. Re: Any help would be greatly appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 18:17