We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a car in Panama

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
880 posts
289 reviews
Save Topic
renting a car in Panama

Hello. I am gonna be in Panama City for 5 days. Would it make sense to rent a car for a couple days? Are there places worth going to that are 2 hours or so from the city? Also is it safe to drive alone? Thanks!

Panama, Rep de...
Level Contributor
261 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a car in Panama

You can get around Panama City fairly well with a rental, although I must warn you that if you have never driven in this city, it could be quite challenging. Driving is somewhat aggesive and the roads lack proper signage and directions. there are many places you can go within a two hour driving range, like the Panama Canal, Colon, Coronado/Gorgona beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Panama Canal
Panama Canal
15,792 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Gorgona
Gorgona
6 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a car in Panama

I would rent a car to explore either the Caribbean coast or the Pacific beaches/El Valle. You don't really need a car in town as taxis are easy and cheap.

Once out of the city the highway is good - a bit bumpy in places but nothing like Costa Rica. There are some nice areas on the Pacific Beaches - my fave is Santa Clara, you could also visit El Valle for a change of climate and other stuff to see.

The other way, heading to the Caribbean coast, you could drive to Portobelo, visit Isla Grande, or up to Gatun Locks and Fort San Lorenzo.

All these can be done as a day trip from Panama or you could overnight and be more relaxed.

Safety is not a major concern with the usual precautions - drive defensively and don't leave anything valuable visible in the car.

Cheers,

Andrew

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Santa Clara
Santa Clara
Panama Province, Panama
Panama
Panama
Central America
3. Re: renting a car in Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 13:18