We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Attire for June

NY
13 posts
Save Topic
Travel Attire for June

OK, I've come across information saying that men in PC always wear pants and in the Old City too. I originally read about it on a photo site and thought it odd that men hanging out would be in pants only but now see it here so I guess it is true. My boyfriend is clearly gringo soooo I guess we're saying in order not to stick out even more...he needs to wear pants!?!

Why don't PC men wear shorts if they are not working? What do they wear to lounge around and have fun in? Me and my boyfriend are very active people. Love to run, hike, bike etc. Do PC men wear pants for this too?

WHAT ABOUT WOMEN? WHAT DO I WEAR? NO SHORT??

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Attire for June

It's no biggie....

Panamanians are relatively "formal" in their attire during the day - either at the office or socializing, both men and women.

But that is people who live here and work here. I would never think of wearing shorts during the week at the office - my staff would really look down at me.

On the weekends you will see men wearing shorts in the supermarket etc so it's not that formal outside the work environment.

But you are here on holiday so it really doesn't matter what you wear. If you don't what to stand out so much (you will stand out anyway) then casual, lightweight pants and a polo or lightweight collared shirt will not be as "drastically" gringo as shorts and Birkenstocks...

Women in Panama are very fashion conscious. Most would never think about going out during the day or in the evening without dressing to the nines, makeup, heels etc. It's a see and be seen culture in that aspect.

But you can go casual - shorts, skirts or slacks are all fine.

Also, don't forget we are all accustomed to the heat so wearing pants isn't unbearable whereas someone from a colder climate would find it way to hot to wear long pants.

However, some restaurants and bars (like the Decapolis) don't allow shorts (for men anyway) in the evening.

So don't stress, wear what's comfortable.

Cheers,

Andrew

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Attire for June

If I may add to Andrew's reply,

During the day while doing the tourist thing shorts are fine, but at night I won't not be caught dead in them.

Men at night generally wear nice jeans or pants with a polo or dress shirt. You won't see men in jackets and ties unless they came straight from work.

Women tend to wear tight fitting jeans or nice slacks with a tight top that will show a lot of skin, at least from the front. Think sexy not slutty.

As Andrew states women are always, always, dressed well.

It is a great culture, I find Panamainians to be a little reserved when you first meet them, but get to know them a little bit and they treat you like family. Just dress up a little at night learn a little Spanish and you will have a great time.

NoVa, USA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Attire for June

I understand that women wear very attractive, somewhat revealing tops. What do the middle-aged and slightly plump women wear?

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Attire for June

Well along Avenida Central they wear the tightest lycra tops and pants you have ever seen - should be cited for Lycra-Abuse!!!

But really, anything that's comfortable will be fine, just remember if you are dealing with any government office - like Immigration or going to see a bank officer, then shorts are not allowed (Govt.), frowned upon (banks) for both men and women. Women can get away with sandals but men can't in these situations.

Cheers,

Andrew

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Attire for June

Age and weight do not stop Panamainian women from trying to wear the same outfits they did in their 20's, sometimes it works out sometimes not.

I would not suggest trying it unless you are close to your fighting weight.

Just dress up a lttle more than you would when you go out in the states and you will be fine. The worst thing you could do is go out at night in shorts and flip flops.

You will mostly likely notice that plastic surgery has a strong foothold in Panama, especially in the under 40 crowd.

New YORK
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Attire for June

Hello,

In Panama city my husband wears light khaki pants and a nice shirt and I always wear a skirt or a dress for dinner. PC is not the best city to run or bike in, the country side is a different story!! Consider the pants that zip off to shorts, they are perfect!!!

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
248 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Attire for June

Now I am worried. I am used to traveling to Mexico with my oldest T-shirts and cut of shorts. I am traveling with my sons (ages 4 & 13) and my parents. What is appropriate for just going to a restaraunt in the evenings? What about tours (like Embera)?

Jo

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Attire for June

Jo,

During the day on the tours dress to be comfortable, it is going to be hot. Kids can get away with wearing pretty much what they do in the States,

For dinner(for you), dress up a bit, no shorts, no tee-shirts and no flip flops.

(if you are staying at a beach property the dress is more casual)

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
248 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Attire for June

no shorts or T-shirts? Wow. That's pretty much all I own. lol. Can I wear capris and a nice shirt? What kind of shoes? What about the men? Jeans and a shirt?

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Attire for June

See my PM but for others on the forum... it's not that bad...

Now just having said that my wife went to a business function last night in a flashy black cocktail dress and Manolo Blahnik heels!!!! and I have to dress up tonight - with a suit and tie to go to a diplomatic function... but that's for us "locals"...

Capri's, khaki pants, casual skirts/dresses, polo's and casual, collared shirts are what everyone wears out at night in the city (plastic flip-flops are for the beach not venturing out in Panama City at night - fashion police will get you!!!!!)... during the day you can be a lot more casual...

Kids can get away with wearing anything - Crocs are very common for kid's (and even adults) footwear and from a parent's point of view very practical with our weather...

Don't worry, you are going to look like a tourist no matter what you wear so just be comfortable and have fun...

Cheers,

Andrew