We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

multicentro mall?

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
omaha, nebraska...
Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
multicentro mall?

How far is the multicentro mall from the veneto hotel?

Thanks.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: multicentro mall?

10 minutes walking, 20 minutes by taxi. :-)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
622 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: multicentro mall?

I'm not sure I would walk it. Walking in P. city is not very pleasant, because of the heat, traffic and lack of well demarcated sidewalks, not to mention the abscence of any hint of courtesy from drivers. Take a cab, depending on the traffic it should be 5-15 minutes.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
622 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: multicentro mall?

Although just coming back a couple of days ago, I agree with Exilio, you may get there faster walking at certain times of day. Traffic in Panama City has moved from "ridiculous" to "barely moving". It;s survival of the fittest, and don't think foreigners are immune, I see them "transform" to Panama driving style in no time!

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: multicentro mall?

I was joking -- hence the smiley face.

Until you get acclimated, take a taxi. (If you get in one right outside the Veneto, they will probably overcharge you; the fare should be $1.50.)

Later, if you feel like it, that particular walk isn't as bad as some. Take the pedestrian bridge over España, head toward the Santuario Nacional, then go down Calle 53 Este -- it leads right into Multicentro. On that route, there are stoplights, crosswalks, and only a couple of missing manhole covers. :-)

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: multicentro mall?

Unless you are going for a specific store, the Multicentro mall is a lot bigger, multiplaza seems to be slowly losing stores, not nearly as popular since the new mall was built, which is about a 15 minute taxi ride or 10 minute walk further.

It is probably less than a mile away but as Tupapi and exilio pointed out the traffic is terrible especially in the area around the mall, just grabbing a taxi is diffficult, and the busses are full many times.

You can also check out Albrook Mall, you will have to take a taxi there but the place is huge, not as upscale but more where the locals shop.

Panama, Rep de...
Level Contributor
261 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: multicentro mall?

CDY, do you have Multiplaza and Multicentro mixed up? Multiplaza is the one that just opened a new wing, has lots of new expensive stores and restaurants. The adjacent Courtyard Marriot is doubling its size. Multicentro, on the other hand, is the one that is next to the Radisson Decapolis Hotel and is sort of slowly loosing some footing, perhaps due to the construction of the unsightly bridge that will dump Corredor Sur into Cinta Costera.

omaha, nebraska...
Level Contributor
97 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: multicentro mall?

Thanks for all the great info. I'm looking forward to my trip back to panama.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: multicentro mall?

Chuck's always mixing things up - it's because he only see the city at night...

I live right behind Multicentro and walk all the time to / from the Veneto and beyond - my office is now in El Carmen, the next neighborhood over. In the heat of the day - for someone not used to it, it would be a hot and sweaty walk. Taxi from the Veneto, hailed off the street, $1.25 for one person, $1.65 for two - under the new rate scheme.

Multicentro is getting a bit better - was in there day before yesterday and a couple of new big stores have opened - Conway's is decent for clothing, Sportline America have opened up a new very large store and Audiofoto have increased their footprint as well. These may just help the mall get back into the swing of things. Right now with the construction in front, traffic can be horrible along that part of Balboa...

MultiPlaza had a better "class" of store right from the get-go and it shows in their traffic. Better selection of stores but you won't find as many bargains.

For bargain shopping head to Albrook - expanding even more soon.

Cheers,

Andrew

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: multicentro mall?

Yikes I got my malls backwards, all i know is: don't agree to buy your novia a pair of jeans at Sudio F, they have locations in all three malls and the jeans start at $100, and contrary to Andrew's statement, it wasn't nighttime, so I can't blame it on having too much to drink.

Personally though I enjoy Albrook, lots and lots of stores a bit of a zoo when it is crowded.

There alre also a ton of stores along Via Espana right by Andrew's office(cangrejo area)

I need to clarify my above post, I am starting to sound like some sort of girly-man giving out shopping advice, I have to admit I have done a fair bit of shopping the last few months in PC, but never alone.

So next time you are in one of the malls and walk by a Studio F store and see a cute, petite, blonde Panamanian leading around a slightly older gringo by the arm, well that would be me.

10. Re: multicentro mall?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 January 2009, 22:26