We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Tours

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
City Tours

Many major cities offer organized, scheduled bus tours of the city - yes including the "hop-on hop off" ones! If we are spending some time in a city we like to do this in the first day or two to get our bearings and then we can make our way back to sights we want to spend more time at.....

So....is there such as thing in PC??

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City Tours

no

Best bet hire a taxi for the day

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Tours

There are bus tours in the city, because I have seen them -- often disgorging hordes of Japanese tourists. But I'll be danged if I can find out who runs them. (Next time I see one of those buses, I'll pay more attention to the name painted on the side.) As CDY said, your best bet is to hire a taxi/guide: they're inexpensive, and you can get exactly the tour that you want.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City Tours

PS: Look at My Friend Mario. He has a 10-hour city tour that's $35 per person -- a great price, imho.

http://www.myfriendmario.com/?page=highlights

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Tours

I am wondering about walking tours in Panama. We've done something like that in Oaxaca (Mexico), Antigua (Guatemala), even years ago in Miami (art deco area). Is there anything like that?

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
887 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Tours

In Casco Viejo, yes. In the rest of the city, no -- it is one of the most pedestrian-unfriendly cities I've seen. And, the major sights are either too distant from city center (Miraflores, Ancon, Panama Viejo) or present hazardous routes to get to them (Casco Viejo). Fortunately, taxis are cheap. :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City Tours

Exilio, are you saying that there are walking tours of Casco Viejo? Thanks.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City Tours

There's a company called Panama Tour Bus - www.panamatourbus.com that does a circle route - two hours to make the full circuit, $30 for the day.

I haven't seen them out and about but then I'm not in CV anymore and my office is not on their route. It seemed a bit pricey to me but might be feasible for some.

For $60 for two you can certainly get a taxi driver for the day to take you and wait for you everywhere you want to go - and not be tied to a schedule.

There used to be walking tours in CV done by an amateur drama crew, dressed up in period costumes but haven't seen them or heard about them for quite a while. You can certainly do your own walking tour - the Office of Casco Antiguo sometimes has guides available - maybe in the summer with schools out they will be available.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: City Tours

The Casco Antiguo office has walking tours of Casco Viejo on Friday and Saturday mornings at 9:00 a.m. (remember this is Panama, everything is subject to change). Their office is on Calle 3 at Avenida "A". You might also get lucky if you just stop by at other times.

If you speak a little Spanish the Tourist Police have also been know to show people around, just approach them and ask for directions, it usually results in a little tour. They want to practice their English.

You also might be lucky and see my wife or I (walking the only Australian Shepherd in Casco) and we would be happy to show you around the neighborhood.

Have a great trip.

Steve

http://www.panamanotes.com/

9. Re: City Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 January 2009, 02:42
10. Re: City Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 07:18