We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

I will be in Panama right after the holidays. I had previously posted to see if anyone had info on the budget hotels off Central Ave./ Cinco de Mayo as they aren't reviewed on this site. People were kind enough to write but all suggested hotels in another neighborhood. So I will try another time. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Ideal? Or the hi rise Doral? I understand that the area isn't very safe and will be careful at night. I would be interested if there are any hotels here that aren't "rooms by the hour' places and might be suitable for someone on a tight budget? I saw outside photos of the two hotels I mentioned, and they don't seem so bad-but I have no idea what the rooms are like or if they are just "pick up" places. Anyone know? Thanks!

PS- I also will be taking the bus from the airport (as I am light on luggage)- is there still a bus to Plaza Cinco de Mayo from the road outside the main airport?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

Ok, about hotel maybe best idea is Luna castle in Casco Viejo, hostel pretty nice always with people inside and its in safe area.

They have nice club maybe unique here in Panama, european still.

you can check more here http://www.lunascastlehostel.com/

About bus ride its possible to pick up the bus, prepare for long ride and bad conditions ( it sweat and crowded but great experience )

Look for a sign on the windshield of the bus its suppose to say Tocumen-5 de Mayo, from there pick up the taxi ( look for older taxi driver might be dangerous to go with taxi young drivers through Chorillo)

If you are coming at night please don't even try to go with a bus, it can be very seriously.

5 de Mayo its not a place to be at night and even ride with a bus is not good if you dont know Panama well.

All the best and see you in Panama

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

I would strongly advise against staying in Santa Ana, there are two decent hostels in/near Casco Viejo -Lunas is one and the other is Hospedaje Casco Viejo (www.hospedajecascoviejo.com)...

Dag's advice is sound.

Cheers,

Andrew

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

In the Casco I always stay at Hotel Colon, which is a little run down but old and cool and cheap (14-17). It is right around the block from Coca Cola Cafe. My girl friend tells me that area is a more "hot" (unsafe) then it was when I was last there but I am sure it is still acceptable. Luna's is great but it is a hostel that has only a few private rooms and whenever I have tried the cascoviejo it has been full.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

I know the new owners of the Colon were getting ready to start renovations - not sure if they have or not - been a while since I've been down there or talked to Bob or Herb...

It's on the "edge" of what us locals consider the "safe" area - still walking distance to the restaurants and bars of Casco Viejo.

I used to walk by that corner almost every day on my way home and never felt unsafe but then I knew a lot of the local characters and speak Spanish.

Cheers,

Andrew

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

I knew they had planned it a while ago but I hoped they would put it off until I could get one more stay in there before it goes from 17 to 170. I was looking up its history after the last time I was there and I found a blurb from William Burrough's The Yage Letters where he is writing to Allen Ginsberg from the Colon in 1953.

On a side note the bar right down the street, Ladies Night, seems super sketchy but when I was was testing my dive bar luck I realized it was the area cop bar which made sense because the station is only about a block away

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

Thanks so much for all the info! The Hotel Colon sounds great. They have a photo on the web and it looks OK for a budget price. Travel isn't always easy when you need to save money but don't want rats, bedbugs, etc. I think what I will do, since I arrive in Panama in the daytime, is just go by a couple of places and see. In Central America, I have always found acceptable rooms for budget prices- you just need to know where to look.

Edited: 16 December 2009, 01:50
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

I found their website, http://www.elhotelcolon.com/

I found they were a little weird about telling me if they had rooms. I asked the 14 dollar one I had before and they told me they were full and when I pressed them and asked if they had anything, even with shared bath, she said all they had left were 17 dollar rooms! I am glad I asked. I guess an extra 3 dollars can be a deal breaker for some people!

Israel
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

you should try this brand new hotel in santana

called santana.

It is nothing like you can ever seen before, it is only 29.00 a night

and there is security 24 hours a day good service, clean and trendy.

check it out "hotel santana"

www.hotelsantana.com.pa

Israel
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

try hotel santana

new and trendy

www.hotel.santana.com.pa

10. Re: Info needed on budget hotels in Santa Ana, Panama City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2010, 05:17