We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat from Panama City/Train back in one day--possible?

Central Florida
Level Contributor
226 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Boat from Panama City/Train back in one day--possible?

Is it possible to take a boat through the canal from Panama City, then take the train back in one day?

I apologize if this has already been posted. I did try to search it out prior to posting this. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat from Panama City/Train back in one day--possible?

In a word - no...

The train only runs Monday to Friday (except holidays) and leaves Colon at 5:15pm.

Full transits by the tour boats only run on Saturdays.

The best way to do a train trip is to arrange for a tour operator to pick you up from the station in Colon at 8:30am when you arrive - Nattur Panama, Easy Travel Panama, Inside Panama and My Friend Mario will all do this.

Tour Gatun Locks, Fort San Lorenzo, Portobelo etc and then have them drive you back to the city - the drive is relatively painless now the new highway is finished - less than and hour from Colon to Panama.

You can also do this in reverse - drive to the Caribbean side - do all the tours and get dropped off at the train by 5pm for the return trip.

Cheers,

Andrew

2. Re: Boat from Panama City/Train back in one day--possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 08:16