We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colon/PanCam Railway/Taxis?? As always, advice appreciated!

NYC
12 posts
Save Topic
Colon/PanCam Railway/Taxis?? As always, advice appreciated!

Three questions:

1) Now that I’ve gotten so much feedback on Colon, we’re thinking of skipping it (we had planned to take the Panama Canal Rail to Colon and then to make stops in Portobelo before heading on our way to Isla Grande) and instead, we’re thinking we’ll take a taxi straight from the railway station to Guayra (and then a ferry to Isla Grande). Question: Are there plenty of cabs normally waiting at the Colon PanCam Rail station when one arrives from PC on a weekday morning? We live in NYC, so I’d been picturing a slew of cabs just waiting to pick up passengers on their way in, but now I’ve heard the place is generally desolate. Do I have to organize a driver ahead of time to meet us at the station upon arrival and take us to Guayra?

2) ALSO – on the way back from Isla Grande…once we take the ferry back to Guayra, will we be able to easily find a cab to taxi to take us back to the rail station to catch the return train to PC? Or does this need to be pre-organized as well?

3) And how does one go about arranging one of these cars from the U.S.? Or should we wait till we’re in Panama City?

Again – any advice is helpful.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colon/PanCam Railway/Taxis?? As always, advice appreciated!

1) The train arrives in Colon and there are usually taxis waiting but don't waste any time getting off as they won't hang around for long. Don't bother with any time in Colon - head for Portobelo as it's on the way to La Guayra/Isla Grande.

This isn't NYC ! ! !

You could organize a driver prior - but it would be more expense - a lot more reliable though - a good contact in Colon for transport is Nattur Panama - they also do guiding. www.natturpanama.com.

2) As I mentioned in a previous post - this is the end of the road, literally, so there won't be a whole bunch of taxis just hanging around. There is no "ferry" it's just a bunch of open boats that go back and forth, whenever they have enough people to make it worth their while.

For coming back you will really need to have made prior arrangements - and give yourselves lots of extra time if you intend to catch the train. Leave Isla Grande no later than 1pm-ish to ensure you get your ride and get to Colon in time.

3) As above with Nattur, Inside Panama or Easy Travel Panama could also do it but they come from Panama City so would be more expensive.

Cheers,

Andrew

2. Re: Colon/PanCam Railway/Taxis?? As always, advice appreciated!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 06:16