We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enjoying Panama and the beach?

Montreal (Québec)
Level Contributor
863 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Enjoying Panama and the beach?

I find the Decameron Complex too far from Panama City and the various day trips. I want to relax and would like to swim a bit in the ocean but I also want to visit the canal, Panama City, Embera, see the monkeys on an eco-tour.

Is InterContinental Playa Bonita what I am looking for? Also, I am travelling solo so I don't want to be bored and since it is 5 hours of flight from home, I was thinking 2 weeks.

Any comments or suggestions?

The Real Panama Trs
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Boat Tours
Rudy's Panama Private Guided Tours & Transfers
City Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Panama Day Trips- Canal Eco Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Easy Travel Panama
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Enjoying Panama and the beach?

The ocean near the city is very polluted as the sewer treatment is a canal that drains into the pacific. The playa blanca area is about and 1.5 hours from the city. The ocean is cleaner there. If you can do with out the ocean try Gamboa resort just outside the city. Or try country in and suites on the canal on the amador causeway. Big pool with unobstructed view of the canal.

Las Margaritas/El...
Level Contributor
789 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enjoying Panama and the beach?

I agree with GB on his comments.

Another option would to do a private tour with www.panamaroadrunner.com. He combines the various day trips into 1 day in Panama City. Ashley will also combine tours with airport pick-up and drop-off, depending on your flight times. He also does what you want and there is no time constrictions.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enjoying Panama and the beach?

Two weeks at any all inclusive would be way too much time to spend. How about staying in the City for four daysor so to do and see all the tours you mentioned from there, then head off to the beaches area, Santa Clara, etc.

From there you can visit El Valle, and enjoy the beach, and there is nightlife at Decameron and is very busy, so you probably wouldn't be bored..

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enjoying Panama and the beach?

There's a nice compromise between the long-ways-past-no-where all inclusives of Santa Clara and the too-close-to-the-sewer resorts close to the city. You might try Coronado Beach. Or, a little closer to town, Punta Chame. Cornado is only an hour and fifteen minutes from the city. Punta Chame is a little less.

Coronado is a well known gated community with ex-pats and weekend homes for Panamanians who live in the city. (Which, with all it's million dollar homes, leaves me baffled that it has the most pot hole ridden roads of any community in Panama. Seriously, these holes devour Volkswagens and make me wonder if I need to get my kidneys checked after driving half a block.)

The Coronado Golf and Beach Resort has nice rooms, if a little pricey. The beach club is very nice with a bar, pool and nice beach access. (The sand is black. It's always nice for a stroll and a swim.

There are also a number of restaurants and a mall at Coronado.

Punta Chame is known for its fishermen who supply a lot of what shows up at the big fish market in the city. I havent' stayed there, but the Punta Chame Villas look very nice and reasonable. At least it's worth checking out their website.

Edited: 03 November 2010, 21:07
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enjoying Panama and the beach?

Coronado Bay Hotel is a cheaper alternative in Coronado to stay. It is right on the beach.

The roads are the way they are because Panama considers it a "private"

community and therefore, doesn't fix them. They expect the residents to pay for getting them fixed - millions of dollars.

Living there, you get used to them, lol.

As for the millionaires who live here in Coronado, they say they like the roads the way they are to discourage others who do not live here from coming in and seeing all there is to see of their katrillion dollar homes.

By the time one drives to the end of the Punta Chame road it takes just as long to get there as it would to just drive on to Coronado.

I think the poster may get bored way out on Punta Chame - there isn't anything there, really, except the beach.

Coronado has a small mall, two 24 hour supermarkets and numerous good restaurant choices.

Cheers !

Edited: 03 November 2010, 21:18
6. Re: Enjoying Panama and the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 06:52