We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessible

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Wheelchair accessible

Has anyone stayed at Torres de Alba that was in a wheelchair? Just wondering how easy it is to get around in the chair at the hotel. What about restaurants are they difficult in a wheelchair?

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheelchair accessible

I don't think you will have a problem in the new wing of the hotel - don't recall where you would have issues in the older section other than small elevators.

Panama City is terrible for wheelchairs - the only ones I see on cosistent basis are the bums in the streets begging for money in them - they have a buddy push them around at stoplights.

Panama City is almost impossible to get around using one unless you push it down the street - their are curbs with access - the problem is cars park on the sidewalks - sidewalks end for no reason, just about all the steel grates that cover utilities are missing - there are holes here in the sidewalk you could fall into and never be heard from again!

Simply put - if you need a wheelchair to get around - you are going to have a very difficult time.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheelchair accessible

Thank you so much for your information. I'm going to Panama for a medical procedure and will be there for two weeks. I will be going Monday thru Friday but my weekends are free. Guess I won't be leaving the hotel too much.

We were in Costa Rica last year, so this sounds pretty similar. Sidewalks very difficult to manuever, better to walk in streets except main ones. Maybe we could at least get to the Canal to at least see it.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheelchair accessible

It is the same in any third world country.............you should have seen Egypt!

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheelchair accessible

You could definitely do the Visitor's Center at Miraflores that's set up for Wheelchair access, you could do the Amador Causeway - long flat walkway would be ideal with great views of the city and the entrance of the canal...

Cheers,

Andrew

Stuart, Oklahoma
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wheelchair accessible

Just wondering if you were going to Panama for Stem Cells? My husband is in a wheelchair and we are scheduled for a trip to Panama this summer. The Torres de Alba was an option we have been given for lodging. Did you stay there and how did it work out for you? Any information will be useful. Thanks

6. Re: Wheelchair accessible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 03:16