We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama and Costa rica

Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Panama and Costa rica

Would like to go to Panama and Costa rice for 3 weeks in August. we are in our 50s relatively active and love wildlife and learning about local cultures. We know we want to go to Bocas Del Torro and Boras Colorado and Boquette. We are wondering about if to go with a tour or go on our own. We would love some recommendations. Should we go solo? Itinerary suggestions? Shoud we go with a tour? Recommendations?

Barefoot Panama
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Panama Day Trips- Canal Eco Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Rudy's Panama Private Guided Tours & Transfers
City Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Easy Travel Panama
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Drake Bay, Costa...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama and Costa rica

i am a tour operator for Costa Rica but, i live 50% of the time here in Panama since my wife is from here, if you only have 3 weeks for the two country's i would recommend you an Itinerary for Panama based on the info you provided, the itinerary can be as follow;

2 nights in Panama City. Try to visit the Casco Antiguo and the Panama Canal.

Than make your way up to to Boquete in the Chiriqui Province. I recommend you to try to visit Pedasi on your way up. This place is located about 1.30 hours from Chitre en the Azuero area in Provincias Centrales.. it is worth to see their Colonial town with beautifull old house, nice people and hardly develop... there is an Island call Iguana with sand beach that you could take a boat for $50 round trip and do a guided tour with park rangers to see the Flora and fauna of the Place. I have a good contact that could do all this tours in Panama city and Pedasi and can even bring up to Boquete for a very reasonable price... he is a very professional tour guide that has his own tour company and can tour you around.

One in the Chiriqui Province is very easy to get to Boquete, from the main City call David. I have some good contact here to help you if you need that too.

I recommend you two nights in Boquete maybe 3 and them make your way to Bocas del Toro from David. It's just 3 hours bus or Car ride... You can even fly to Bocas from Chiriqui is a 25 minutes plain ride and very cheap !!

Try to spend at least 3 days and then head to Costa Rica.

If you need additional information or a different Itinerary i will be more tan happy to help you.

Have a good day !

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama and Costa rica

Nice advice above.

It is easy to do on your own. I do think it is nice to have Caribe Shuttle, or a similiar service, bring you from Bocas Del Toro to Costa Rica (usually Puerto Viejo). Depending on where you want to go in Costa Ria you can also fly from Bocas to San Jose.

Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama and Costa rica

Thank you for your response - you have made some very appealing suggestions. We are in the very early planning stages, but your advice is very useful, and I'm sure we will get back to you once we are closer to finalizing our itinerary. Do you have any suggestions for Costa Rica as well? Would love to hear back from you again. Thank you - Muchos Gracias!

Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panama and Costa rica

Thank you very much for your response and advice. Do you have any suggestions for our time in Costa Rica?

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panama and Costa rica

Puerto Viejo is a good place to go after Bocas. Are you flying home out of Panama City, or do you have a choice? This summer I am flying into PC and out of San Jose so I don't have to back track. Arenal is a very popular destination, active Volcano. There are so many options. How much do you want to jump around? I like to stay about 5 nights in each place before moving on, but many like to hit tons of place. IMO you could do a couple nights in Panama City, Boquette and Arenal, then more time in the other areas. Depends on how you want to travel.

Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panama and Costa rica

Thank you. We are planning to arrive in Panama City and leave from San Jose.

We like the idea of staying several nights in a few places. Thanks again for your help

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
293 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panama and Costa rica

You can spend a day in San Jose and then move on to the central valley.

From there we went to Mal Pais/Santa Theresa That area of Costa Rica has the most beautiful beaches on the planet. I am in my early 60's and consider myself very active for my age, I'm certain that I was the oldest person in town, but sure had a lot of fun.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Panama and Costa rica

All of the post are really good, but just one advice more if you going by bus from panama to costa rica keep your flight ticket handy other wise migration oficers will send you to buy a bus ticket out of Costa rica. they need to see some info that you will leave the country.

panama
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Panama and Costa rica

At this time you can not fly from David/Boquete area to Bocas del Toro. So I would take a shuttle ($38 each) or taxi ($100 total) direct from Boquete area to Almirante (then a $4 water taxi to Bocas del Toro). The drive is beautiful! Don't take the bus (hahaha - much longer & you won't see as much).

Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Panama and Costa rica

From Boquete, it is about 5 hours on public transit to the Osa Peninusla in Costa Rica, crossing through the border at Paso Canos. This might be a good stopover before heading north to San Jose, especially if you are interested in the rainforest, animals or undeveloped areas.

Alternatively, it's about the same amount of time from Boquete to San Vito, in the Costa Rican cloud forest up by La Amistad International Park. it's much cooler here and the drive is quite lovely. The border crossing for this is Rio Sireno. From here you can easily make your way to San Jose.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo