We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Santa Catalina from Panama City

NJ
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to get to Santa Catalina from Panama City

Hi,

We are looking at heading to Santa Catalina. We are flying in to Panama City but do not arrive until 9pm at night.

Does anyone know whether we can get a taxi/minibus to SC from PC and how much this will cost? Can anyone recommend a company who offers this?

I see there are buses but these do not leave until the next morning.

Any help/recommendations much appreciated!

Panama, Rep de...
Level Contributor
261 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Santa Catalina from Panama City

I dont know if there is public transportation to Sta Catalina. The first part of the journey is a long ride from Panama City to Soná (or thereabouts). Then you need to ride south of the Panamerican Hwy to Sta Catalina. I´ve never been there, but I estimate it could be a 5-6 hours drive from Panama City, so it will probably be very difficult to get a taxi to take you there in one shot. You may have to split the trip and get to Sona in a Bus (any route Panama-Sona, Panama-David). Then take a local transportation. The closest town to where you want to go is Santiago. Maybe there is transportation from Santiago to Sta Catalina.

If you arrive to Panama at 9pm, sleep there and get on your way first thing the following morning. My suggestion.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Santa Catalina from Panama City

You will have to overnight in Panama City and then catch an early bus to Santiago. You then change to a but to Sona and then in Sona change to another bus to Santa Catalina.

The last bus from Sona to Cat leaves about 4pm so you need a fairly early start to make sure you get there.

Panama to Santiago is about 31/2 - 4 hours depending on how many stops the bus makes on the way. Santiago to Sona is about 2 hours, again the number of stops is what makes the difference.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Santa Catalina...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Santa Catalina from Panama City

hi

Andrews reply is quite acurate as far as buses,except the bus from santiago to sona takes one hour,not two.

if you go to our web site www.solymarpanama.com on the first page you find the "directions" link that has detailed driving and also bus directions.

we also provide direct transfer from the airport that has a cost of $230

good luck!

4. Re: How to get to Santa Catalina from Panama City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2012, 06:23