We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Colombia

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
How to get to Colombia

Doing our research on driving from Mexico through Central America to South America. What would the best way be to enter SA?

Wendy

Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
164 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Colombia

As far as I know you may need to ferry your vehicle from Panama to Colombia. There is no road through Darien.

Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
164 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Colombia

Here is some info about Darien Gap:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…Crossing_the_Darien_Gap

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Colombia

You will have to ship your car in a container from Panama to a port in Colombia - there are no ferries or roads.

Regards,

Andrew

canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Colombia

Hi Andrew, yes it seems this is the only way. I have been on website after website looking for shipping information and finally have received the container sizes. It appears a vehicle over 7'8" Will not fit in the containers, nor will they fit in a flat rack. The dimensions seem to be all the same.

I am awaiting information from the shipping companies how to be a 24ftx 9ft wide vehicle into Cartagena. If you have some answers would love to hear about them!

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Colombia

24 X9 ( - what are you driving an RV? - if that was the case I would reconsider your plan - I have seen RV's as far as Panama - but in two years living in Colombia - have nver seen one on the road here - I am sure a few have made it but I would not recommend it - Colombia is big - lots and lots of mountains - the roads sometimes don't have much room -even when in a car -

A car or a moto to do the trip fine - but a big slow RV -very hard - also you would have to carry a lot of spare parts - it a water pump goes or something similar no way will you find it easily here.

6. Re: How to get to Colombia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:22