We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Panama City

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda, Maryland
7 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Panama City

My wife and I will be spending 6 nights in Panama at the end of January, and were thinking of staying the whole time at a hotel in Panama City and take several day trips from there. We are interested both in hiking and grabbing some beach time. Any suggestions?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Panama City

For hiking, go to the Metropolitan Park. If you want something very unique but very demanding, arrange to hike the Las Cruces Trail from the Chagres River to Madden Dam Road -- 10 km, 5 - 7 hours.

I'd also recommend going to Portobelo for a day trip. Not much on beaches, but a very unique bit of Caribbean coast and historic Panama. You could couple that with snorkeling, too.

The closest decent beach is Coronado -- an hour outside the city.

There are some wonderful hiking trails in the mountains surrounding El Valle. There are also therapeutic mud baths, a market with indiginous crafts and a zoo. El Valle is 90 minutes from the city. And, very honestly, I would say that you're really missing a lot if you just go there as a day trip. Why not take a couple of days and spend a couple of nights there? What a refreshing break it will be from the city!

Edited: 17 January 2012, 03:46
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Panama City

Lots of Info on Page 2 of this thread. Hope this helps:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294480-i1194-k505…

Bethesda, Maryland
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Panama City

Thanks, gb. Portobelo sounds very interesting.

Bethesda, Maryland
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Panama City

Lots of great tips, LN -- thanks very much.

5. Re: Day trips from Panama City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:22