We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need insight on Feb18 to 21 Carnival Celebration

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need insight on Feb18 to 21 Carnival Celebration

Will be staying then with wife at Westin. Where should we go to participate? Is it safe? Is there a hot spot and less hot spots when you are middle aged? Is it a big pain in neck or special? Need tips. thanks

New York
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need insight on Feb18 to 21 Carnival Celebration

I went to Panama City for Carnival last year, and I found it quite enjoyable and completely safe. My sense of safety was also confirmed by the press coverage after the festivities...it was reported that during only one reveller out of thousands required hospitalization --and that was a result of an epilectic fit.

To me (I'm in my 40s) it was special. Whether you will find it a pain in the neck depends on your tolerance for loud music, widespread intoxication, and the risk of complete strangers tossing confetti at you.

I'm honestly not sure of the specifics of this year's celebration in the capital. But last year, most of the parades and concerts took place on the Cinta Costera, a strip of highway by the sea that was blocked off for the occasion.

Most Panamanians prefer to celebrate "los carnevales" in the provinces, so much the City will actually seem deserted while you're there. I'd suggest that check out at least one of the parades -- if the atmoshere isn't to your tastes, it should be possible to avoid it altogether in many parts of PC.

Edited: 22 January 2012, 03:05
Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need insight on Feb18 to 21 Carnival Celebration

There won't be that much happening right around the Westin - it's a bit remote from the city - you would need to get into Panama City or inland to El Valle or Penonome to see some of the festivities.

Cheers,

Andrew

3. Re: Need insight on Feb18 to 21 Carnival Celebration

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 10:21