We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop On Hop Off Buses

Central Florida
Level Contributor
263 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Hop On Hop Off Buses

I hear Hop On Hop Off Buses have recently made their way to Panama. Does anyone have experience with them?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop On Hop Off Buses

Just got back from panama this week. The hop on-hop off busses are a great way to see the city. Bus fare is $29 for a 24 hr. pass.You are given a city map as well as ear phones to plug in & listen to commentary on points of interest along the way . The busses start running at approx. 10:00 am with the last one departing at 4:00 pm.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop On Hop Off Buses

AND how many times were you sitting snarled up in traffic? Were the buses able to navigate all the construction that is going on in Panama City? Please tell more. Thanks.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop On Hop Off Buses

We didn't experience any significant delays in traffic. The busses seem to be able to navigate around the construction quite well but one stop has been taken off the route..possibly to avoid it.. We used the bus on a Sunday though so probably our experience was much different than you would find on a busy week day. We found the young bus attendants (students) to be friendly & helpful and spoke English well enough to answer our questions. The service doesn't seem to be well advertised, We only found out about at the end of our few days there and would have utilized the service more had we known about it . We found it to be a fun & relaxing way to tour the city.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Medellin
Level Contributor
3,977 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop On Hop Off Buses

Yikes - $29 bucks - seems a bit high - of course if you feel the guides they use are informed it might be worth it - I would not want to be on it during a weekday at lunchtime - or around rush hour.

For two people you are talking almost $60 - I don't know, I think you could just grab a cab to most of the touristy places and save a lot.

But if the price seems reasonable to you go for - especially on a Sunday

Just curious, does it go to all of the below:

Casco Viejo

Panama Viejo

The Causeway

Miraflores

Metropolitan Parque

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop On Hop Off Buses

I think it is outrageous considering I lived in the Oldest Town in the U.S. and they sell a THREE day hop on and off tour for like $16.00 each. And Panama is supposed to be cheaper than U.S. This is what is happening, however, when people from Canada, etc. think it is a "good deal", they pay the higher prices. THAT is how the economy of third world countries gets changed......people paying for what I would consider "a ridiculous amount" thinking. I will get off my sounding box now and get back to DE work day. And if an attraction is able to get the price, they will go for it.

Perhaps you pay more here because you are caught in traffic more, lol.

They advertise as "city tour", so I , too, would like to know where they go in the "city". Thanks.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop On Hop Off Buses

I found this - tells where it goes too. Now I get it. This will be mostly popular as an excursion from cruise ships stopping at Amador.

richarddetrich.com/2012/…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop On Hop Off Buses

I agree, LN, that this does seem expensive when you compare with having a taxi or someone like that take you on a tour. But if it starts at Amador where cruise ships dock, it will be a lot cheaper than the excursions that the ships offer--ship excursions rae absolutely outrageous cost, IMO. So, it will be good for them. And probably 90% of the cruise ship passengers haven't done research on their destinations, so it will be easy. Thanks for that link. As for me, we're getting guides to take us where we want to go, or basing ourselves in areas we want to be.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop On Hop Off Buses

I think it´s one of the cheapest priced hop on hop off. NY $43, London $41, San Antonio $30, Seattle $35. Certainly not cheap for Panama, but cheaper than most other cities. You can always grab a cab, or several. The St. Augustine thing is different, they call it a trolley but it´s more like a parking lot tram, I can´t imagine it would go too far.

http://www.hopon-hopoff.com/

Edited: 27 February 2012, 04:52
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hop On Hop Off Buses

can you tell me what Hotels the Hop on Hop off Bus stops at in Panama City Panama ... thx :)

Edited: 05 April 2013, 18:38
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hop On Hop Off Buses

We have been on Hop ON Hop Off buses in many large cities around the world ie: London, Edinburgh, Sydney etc. and the price is reasonable for Panama in comparison. You get to see more in a short time than you would otherwise. We are headed to Panama January 2014 and will be doing the Hop on Off bus once again.