We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeep Rental

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Jeep Rental

Does anyone know where I can rent a Jeep for two weeks this July in Panama? I am doing some property searching and was looking to drive some of Panama...Restless in Toronto..lol

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeep Rental

Why do you need a Jeep - most front wheel drive cars will get more everywhere - unless you are searching property way off the beaten path - it is just an added expense.

Also have never seen a jeep rental - have seen small SUV's - the advantage they have over a car - ground clearance.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeep Rental

Thanks for the advise. I wasn't sure what the road conditions are outside of the devloped areas. Are you telling me that "all" areas are accesable via regualr car even remote neach properties? Thanks again

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeep Rental

I'll put it this way ... if you're a first time visitor driving in Panama where you absolutely need a 4wd, you're driving where you absolutely shouldn't be.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeep Rental

May I add to gbwilliams comment-if you do rent a 4x4 (we did) read the fine print in your rental contract your insurance may well not cover you when driving on unpaved roads!! The insurance offered by your credit card company is almost certainly not going to cover off road driving.

If you plan on using your credit card insurance policy e-mail your card company ahead of time and request a copy of thier policy to be e-mailed to you to take with you to show the car rental company.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeep Rental

Thanks for the advise. I will keep this in mind when I travel this summer. Whats the weather like in mid July to late July?

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeep Rental

AND any price you get prior to booking (like booking online) plan on the price being doubled with all the extras you have to get when you pick up the car.. I would get the cheapest car cause even that will be very high when doubled. I would say you can drive on ANY road in Panama (not across a field) a ROAD with just a normal drive car-no need for 4 wheel and there is a huge price difference.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeep Rental

Just be careful with the ground clearance - once knocked the front end off a Yaris in David - as able to put it back in place - sort of snapped back on - they did not notice that when I took it back but they hit me for $20 for a missing hubcap!

University Park...
Level Contributor
10 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jeep Rental

Good insights, any recommendations on who to rent from in PC, I too will be in country in July, few days in PC and rest in San Carlos

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jeep Rental

sib715, where are you staying in the San Carlos area?

University Park...
Level Contributor
10 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jeep Rental

Roca Marina @ Vista Mar