We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a Panama Vacation

Caribbean
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Planning a Panama Vacation

Planning to visit panama in late August for 2 weeks. We want to spend a couple of days in Panama city and then travel to David & Boquete.

If we rent a car for the whole 2 weeks and drive from city to David & Boquete and then back , how hectic will it be? is their any other place on the way where we can spend a day or 2 and then proceed to David?

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a Panama Vacation

Easily can spend 3 or 4 days in Panama Visiting Ancon Hill, Casco Viejo, Amador Cause way, Panama la Vieja, Miraflores locks, Trip on the panama canal and a couple of natural reserves on the area. and renting a car and drive to David is very stenuos because is about 7 hours drive. and of course there are fantastic beaches on the area going to David.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,066 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a Panama Vacation

I would strongly recommend not renting a car while you're in the city. Rent the car when you're ready to leave the city.

Driving in Panama City is the stuff heart attacks and divorces are made of. You have to know Panama City very well to drive in it. There are almost no street signs. Many intersections have no stop signs or lights or working lights. It is a maze of one way streets, impossilbe to follow on a map -- if you can find one. GPS's are little help because they will often route you into areas where even the police won't go without heavily armored vehicles. The congestion is horrible on the best of days, and with all the construction and detours going on, it's even worse. Going to places like Casco Viejo, you'll be extremely lucky ot find a parking space within blocks of where you want to be. Here's a look at how you get through intersections: tripadvisor.com/…41591939

The solution in town is to take taxis. They are cheap and plentiful (except during a rainstorm).

When you're ready to leave the city, rent a car from one of the agencies at Albrook Airport. It's easy to get to the Panamerican Highway from there, and easy to return.

There are plenty of interesting places to stop for an hour or a day on the way to David. Coronado and the beaches around San Carlos ... El Valle ... Penonome ... the Azuero Penninsula ... Santiago and Santa Fe ... Boca Chica. Get a good guide book and look through your options.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
336 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a Panama Vacation

Visit panama city, fly to David and rent a car there. Explore David, boca Chica, playa la barqueta, boquete drive back to David and catch a flight to panama city. This will be plenty of driving for you.

If it was the dry season and you had more vacation time driving and exploring would be fine. But it it the green season and heavy rains combined with tractor trailers should be considered in your decision. Or you could take the bus to David and rent a car there.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
336 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a Panama Vacation

As mentioned above, avoid driving in panama city. It is your vacation, avoid a stressful situation and take cabs. You may find a driver you really like and use them for all your trips in the city.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a Panama Vacation

Thanks for all your inputs. Planning to stay in Panama for 4 days and then fly to David and from there by car to Boquete.

Any place you recommend t stay in David and Boquete. What are our options to rent a villa/ house

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a Panama Vacation

We are considering renting a condo in San Carlos Panama for the month of March. To get out of the Canadian winter. The place we are considering is in a gated condo development with ocean views and on the beach. Our travel agent is advising us that it is not a safe vacation. Does anyone have any comments about the feasibility of this type of vacation in Panama in regards to safety .

Please and thanks

Henry

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,300 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a Panama Vacation

Henry - you might want to start a fresh thread with your query rather than adding it to an older one.

Also, this thread is in the section for Panama City. As far as I can see, San Carlos is a way from the city.

Are you planning on staying within your condo the whole time ? If not, what are you planning to do ? Why did you pick that place ? Why does your agent say it is not safe ?

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a Panama Vacation

That is ridiculous. It is very safe there......

Has your travel agent ever visited there?

Gated community, however, in San Carlos? What is the name of it. There are gated communities all around where our place is in Coronado. I have never felt unsafe here...............if I did, I wouldn't live here.

Good advice on the new thread.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a Panama Vacation

Thanks so much for your advice, it is the first time I have used this site so I was not familiar with the mechanics.

We are planning to basically stay at the condo and use a rental auto for sideqtrips.

Thanks again I do appreciate your input.

Henry

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a Panama Vacation

I went to Panama for business and did some tourism on the weekend. I rented a car from the airport, drove to Portobelo (north side) then back to Panama city and then back to the aiport. Traffic was city-like, but I have seen worse. The GPS with the Cenrut maps was a great help, though the subway construction in the city can disrupt the routing.

Here is the page with the Cenrut GPS maps:

http://www.cenrut.org/adw/over.htm