We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to road bike?

Panama City, Panama
3 posts
Save Topic
Best places to road bike?

I'm staying in Panama City for a couple of months and would like to know which are the best areas, not too far from the city, to use my road bike for some reasonable length rides, maybe 20 to 30 miles?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to road bike?

Stick to Cinta Costera and Amador Causeway ... off the road and away from the traffic. Panama is most definitely NOT a country that believes in "share the road." I see from your location, you're in Panama already. Then you know what the road conditions are like, how the locals drive and the fact that this is a third world country that does not embrace U.S. and European attitudes about bicylces and their riders.

Edited: 06 October 2012, 02:09
Mentioned in this post
Cinta Costera
Cinta Costera
1,486 Reviews
Panama City, Panama
Panama
Panama
Central America
Panama City, Panama
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to road bike?

Ok, thanks. I have seen the traffic and some pretty aggressive driving in the city so I understand what you're saying, it's just that places like Amador Causeway are just not big enough for a ride of a decent distance without doing endless laps of the same place. I do have access to a car and don't mind driving for 30 mins or so to somewhere where the traffic is a little less aggressive. I just don't know if such a place exists?

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to road bike?

I wish such a place did exist. The problem is that if you go to someplace like El Valle, where the traffic is lighter and slower, the roads are narrow and not in any condition that would make biking the least bit comfortable. The PanAm highway isn't a safe option, either. And, while the autopista to Colon has a good surface and shoulders, there's no place short of the toll booths where you can turn around. If you find a place, let us know.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,906 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to road bike?

You dont see many road bikes in panama, i would not risk it, here in Colombia a lot of them, but built into the culture so much safer, when was the last time you heard of a rider from panama in the tour de France?.

For a couple of months stick to an exercise bike at a gym,

The may be off road triails however if you are into that

Mentioned in this post
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Panama City, Panama
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to road bike?

Having been here for a few months now, I thought that I'd update this topic just in case it helps anyone else. There is actually a growing interest in road cycling in Panama, helped by the current popularity of triathlons. You just need to know where to look. Because of the climate and the traffic, you'll find most cyclists out early in the morning and road bikes are a common sight on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Popular routes seem to be along the PanAm highway for some riders, although I've only ridden this way once on one of the organised Ironman route 'try-outs' last year and to Chilibre and Gamboa, routes I've ridden often, where you can put together a reasonable ride of anywhere between 30 - 60 miles. There are also a growing number of organised events that you can participate in. There are a couple of Facebook groups which are a good place to start:

Movimiento Ciclistas en las Calles de Panamá

EAON Cycling Team

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Crested Butte...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to road bike?

Mark, headed down that way in July - is it worth bring my road bike down to Panama? Are there any good shops in Panama City? Thanks, Dan

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Minnesota
Level Contributor
512 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to road bike?

How good is your health and life insurance? We just returned from a wonderful trip to Panama and we did see several serious road bikers. However, maybe at my age it seemed suicidal with cars and busses almost using them as hood ornaments. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
8. Re: Best places to road bike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:22