We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation near Metropolitan Park

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
accommodation near Metropolitan Park

I am planning a one or two night layover in Panama City enroute to Ecuador. Primary interest would be birding then Canal. Single "mature" woman traveller. I am looking for suggestions of accommodations, if any, near the Park for easy access for early morning birding. I do not need a North American type hotel. Better than a hostel, but local style is fine. My Spanish is limited, but more than 'cerveza' and 'por favor'.

If an easy cab ride, suggestions of a place with character would work too.

Some explanation to the neighbourhood and restaurant proximity would be helpful.

I need to try to make the best of a short visit.

Thanks.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation near Metropolitan Park

Really no hotel next to the park, but nothing is too far really depends on the time of day you go and the traffic.

There use to be a Country Inn in Dorado which would be close but not sure if it is still open and it was a dump.

Tons of hotels in Cangrejo section of PC, hotel Milan, Las vegas suites, to name two that are reasonable.

I used to live in the neighborhood and would frequently go through the park on the way to albrook in a cab, if traffic is light ( early morning) it would only take about 15 minutes and cost $3.50

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,961 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation near Metropolitan Park

Google Maps shows the Country Inn and a hostel in El Dorado.

As CDY mentions, El Cangejo has lots of hotels and restaurants too.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation near Metropolitan Park

Thanks for the suggestions. It helps to know the proximity of areas. Can't always tell on a guidebook map, so thanks.

QM

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,961 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodation near Metropolitan Park

Google Maps allows you to get a reasobly clear idea of thins.

Note - between El Cangrejo and the Parque there is an area called Curudu which is one of the parts of the city which I have heard tourists should be wary of wandering around.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodation near Metropolitan Park

Thanks. I am starting to get the feel for the city. I appreciate the warning. I u derstand there are a few areas of concern. So, with taxis so inexpensive, I'll rely on them to get me to where I am going. I try to blend in, as much as one can as a visitor. No obvious wealth showing on this mamma.