We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estimated Taxi fare from.....

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KTfromNC
Level Contributor
350 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Estimated Taxi fare from.....

Wondering what the estimated fare would be from the Sheraton Panama Convention Center at Vía Israel y Calle 77, San Francisco, Panama City to the Miraflores Visitor Center and back?

Also need advice on places to go, things to do, over the long New Years weekend, as well as the following weekend, along with estimated transportation costs.

We arrive late at night on the 26th and leave early on the 9th, with the wife working during the weekdays, I just hanging about the hotel for the most part, and the two of us wanting to see the area on the weekends.

As to restaurants and things to do we always prefer to "go local" rather than go tourist, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Kelly

P.S. We do not speak Spanish but should have the trusty pocket translator with us although I don't think it helps a lot... :-)

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Estimated Taxi fare from.....

Taxis from the hotel are likely to be more expensive than taxis from a few blocks away - if you can be bothered with that.

You are well placed to get to the ruins of Panama Viejo.

"Go local" - means going to the Macdonalds or KFC ! You are better off staying in the places that tourists go to - and the better off Panamanians. 3 blocks from the Sheraton is the Golden Unicorn - a Chinese restaurant taht is highly recommended. Only a few blocks up Via Porras is Antonio's pizzas, whose pizzas I love.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Estimated Taxi fare from.....

If you ask the taxi fare to Miraflores at your hotel, you'll probably be told $15 to $20. If you cross the street and ask a taxi that stops for you, the fare will be between $7 and $10, depending on the time of day.

To get a good sampling of typical Panamanian cuisine, go to El Trapiche on Via Argentina. After dinner, for dessert, walk across the street to Manolo's Chorreria. A more "local" place (with the same kind of food) would be Manolo's. (But, not the Chorreria on Via Argentina.) There are a number of the cafes. I usually go to the restaurant on Via Veneto.

One place to visit that doesn't attract many tourists is the zoo at Summit Park (Soberanía Nat'l Park). Probably because it's a little ways out of town. You'll see animals indiginous to Panama -- monkeys, ocelots, jaguars, tapirs, birds, etc. The Harpy Eagle exhibit is particularly interesting. It's Panama's national bird and the largest raptor in both continents. Makes our Bald Eagle look more like a small hawk. When you go, be prepared to be outside -- wear hats, sun screen, etc.

Miramar Beach
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Estimated Taxi fare from.....

The fare from Panama City to the Miraflores Visitor Center will be 2.50 per mile up to four passengers. The Panama City Airport Shuttle rates are affordable. You can use the rate calculator on our website for exact cost. http://nwflairportshuttle.com

Edited: 27 December 2012, 06:48
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Estimated Taxi fare from.....

Fares from a rate sheet and actual fares in PC are many times 2 dufferent things, if you dont speak Spanish and pull out a translator - be prepared to get fleeced - best thing to do - write down where you want to go, give to the taxi, beore getting in and ask him how much, if it seems reasonable - take it.

Dont grab cabs waiting in front of hotels or malls, try to grab one in the street,

If it is rush hour and raining, be thankfull for any vacant cab you can find

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Estimated Taxi fare from.....

Post #3 is referring to Panama City in Florida - I don't know why he mentions Miraflores in that context !

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Estimated Taxi fare from.....

Haha - that would be one expensive cab ride

Reading his post - he obviously does not know his town too well - Miraflores locks in Destin or Panama City Florida? missed them last time I was there.

But does say it will be $2.50 per mile, x 2000 miles or so by road to Panama - looking. At a $5,000 cab ride, he will have a hard time finding a fare coming back.

Edited: 27 December 2012, 18:51
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,185 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Estimated Taxi fare from.....

Do all taxi drivers in the Florida panhandle carry their passports ? Or would you have to pre-arrange such a trip ?

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
350 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Estimated Taxi fare from.....

Can't help but laugh about that post.....

Nice first day.

Since we got in late, it was a sit by the pool, read and relax, go up to the room and take a nap, eat at a little place right up the street (had some skewer with chicken, onion, and green peppers) day. Just relaxing....

Antonio's Pizza is right up the street as well, and it's on our "recommended" list..

Will probably go to Miraflores tomorrow.

My thanks to all for the help....

Edited: 29 December 2012, 04:48
9. Re: Estimated Taxi fare from.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:16