We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name of the bankrupt resort next to the Figali CC?

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
352 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Name of the bankrupt resort next to the Figali CC?

While walking the causeway we came upon two different construction projects that apparently went awry.

The Museo de la Biodiversidad I understand is still being worked on and is "guesstimated" to open sometime in 2014 (I have my doubts)..

Wondering what happened to the other, which now appears to be in a near virtual ruin.

Was it caught up in the world economic mess? What was it to be named? Who was behind it?

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Name of the bankrupt resort next to the Figali CC?

If it was the one i am thinking about - they started construction without the proper permits and probably then did not grease enough palms to keep it going,

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
352 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Name of the bankrupt resort next to the Figali CC?

With the extent of the construction I wonder if that could have been the problem.

It looks like there was a existing hotel/condo there, and that it was going to be greatly extended.

As I look around the area I wondered if there was actually ANY building regulations, permits, inspections, etc, etc.

Most of the construction I've seen in the area seems to be a bit questionable in quality, and infrastructure is definitely something lacking, as is evidenced by the lack of sidewalks, traffic signals, etc, etc.

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Name of the bankrupt resort next to the Figali CC?

Haha - welcome to Panama, you really dont want to see most construction techniques.

There are building regulations and such but if you are connected to the right people you can get away with just about anything, things were much crazier back in 2007 or so when the building was really out of control, no thoughts for infrastructure- just keep building, they are trying to catch up at this point.

Was living in PC several years ago when the entire city had issues with water for several weeks - the antiquated water pumping stations could not keep up when the filters got clogged from too much sediment - some things you wont read in International Living when they are pimping a country and its real estate

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Name of the bankrupt resort next to the Figali CC?

One of the reasons we are not a First World Country.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
352 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Name of the bankrupt resort next to the Figali CC?

It really is a shame as Panama is in such a unique location, with great weather, and great scenery.

This could be one of the premier vacation locations but for the areas that visitors go through to get to the nice spots, the terrible infrastructure, utterly absurd prices of hotel rooms, etc, etc.

It'll take some time, and lots of money, for sure.

I find the people here to be much friendlier than back in the states, and that's a big plus in my mind.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Name of the bankrupt resort next to the Figali CC?

It is already here KT, last year 2012 Panama was rated the number ONE destination in the world visited and we were the only country in the world where tourism increased, so it has already happened. This year has a huge prediction on it also with Panama being the number one spot to retire in the world.

"Utterly absurd" price of the rooms........if one does their research, there is absolultely no need to pay an absurd price for a room. Now that there are so

many hotels in PC, it is so easy to find a very decent, even cheap price for a room in the city.

I am glad you enjoyed your visit, come back soon.

Edited: 03 January 2013, 13:03
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Name of the bankrupt resort next to the Figali CC?

It's a real embarrement that the biomuseum is taking so many years to finish. Any other city in the world would love to have a Frank Gehri museum. Not only is it an honor but it is a huge tourist attraction... I asked my Panamanian GF how was it that the government doesn't understand this. She said they do understand, they just don't care. Such a pity.

8. Re: Name of the bankrupt resort next to the Figali CC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 00:16