We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 or 48 hours in PTY

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
24 or 48 hours in PTY

My big vacation for 2013 will involve flying to Montevideo, Uruguay. My best option -- cheapest price AND the only flight with one stop and one plane-change -- involves flying Copa from Las Vegas, Nevada USA through Panama City en route to Montevideo.

According to Expedia, for less than a $100 US, I can extend my layover at PTY to 24 or 48 hours. Should I do it? Is there much to see or do in PTY in that short of a time? I wouldn't really have much time to sail through the canal, although I would like to see it, but what would someone recommend as a 24 or 48 hour itinerary in the Panamanian capital?

Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 or 48 hours in PTY

You could probably see Miraflores Lock Visitor Center and Casco Viejo.

Should you do it? I don't know your preferences. I would read the reviews on both on Tripadvisor and then decide.

Miraflores:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294480-d5…

Casco Vejo:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294480-d3…

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 or 48 hours in PTY

There is sufficient to see and do in 24/48 hours. You can spend as much time if you like at the canal but there are plenty more options. It depends on what you think is interesting?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 or 48 hours in PTY

When I travel to a new city, the two most interesting things -- and what's #1 and #2 changes depending on the time of day: food and architecture.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 or 48 hours in PTY

I would go for the 48 hour option - but I always think slower is better when traveling.

For "food and architecture" stay in Casco Viejo (old city) and when/if you get your fill you can grab a taxi and see the canal (Miraflores), visit Ancon Hill and the Amador Causeway.

Enjoy your visit,

Steve www.panamanotes.com

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,028 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 or 48 hours in PTY

Regarding food, some people are dismissive of food in Panama - but I have eaten well in Chinese, Lebanese, Italian and Peruvian restaurants here.

Architecture cover a wide range - there is the old quarter - Casco Viejo - and things like the Canal administration building. (100 years old)

Edited: 20 January 2013, 00:35
Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 or 48 hours in PTY

There is also an interesting spiral skyscraper designed by Pinzon Lozano.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 or 48 hours in PTY

I think there is great food in many different restaurants in Panama .......just not fond of Panamanian food......find it bland and boring, so you won't find me eating at a fonda.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 or 48 hours in PTY

The fonda is part of the Panamenian experience :)

But PC has plenty of fine restaurants for sure!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24 or 48 hours in PTY

Not part of mine..Been there done that; but I have been coming to Panama for six years..he he

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 24 or 48 hours in PTY

OK. Having never been to Panama, I've got to ask: what's a "fonda"? Why is it a must-do or a must-avoid depending on the person doing the recommending?