We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in Panama City

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Topic
Taxis in Panama City

Is it easy to get a taxi to the airport for 3 or 4 adults (We will be at the Marriott)? It is less expensive for us to grab our own taxi to the airport than arrange a car, but if normal taxis accommodate just 2 plus luggage we will make other arrangements. Thank you, Cherie

CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,739 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis in Panama City

3 adults in a cab plus luggage , can be tight, forget 4 with bags.

Almost always cheaper to grab your own taxi, there are larger vans available, might be an option, if you have the Marriott arrange it you will get hammered with gringo pricing.

For 2 the price should be $29-$30

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis in Panama City

There are often minivans available - especially at the major hotels.

To the airport, prices are pretty standardised - I doubt there will be much difference. (But ask and check.)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis in Panama City

Thank you. I sort of knew that $30 was reasonable for 2 between the airport and the Marriott, but I didn't know if $45 for 3, and $55 for 4 is reasonable, or you pay per cab. Everyone's responses to my questions are so helpful in getting the final details in place for our trip to Panama next month. Cherie

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis in Panama City

It might be a few dollars more for 4 - but not almost double. (It is also $28/$30 for one person.)

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis in Panama City

The posted rate in the taxi zone map is $.50 for each additional passenger. So, $1.50 for four people. That still makes the fare less than $30, including tolls on Corredor Sur.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis in Panama City

Thank you very much for the responses. We will just plan on getting our own taxis from the Marriott to Tocumen. I have one more questions in case you check back...is $75 reasonable for a taxi from Tocumen to the Radisson Summit? On the way to Bocas we will be at the Radisson for one night. Thank you again for all of the help. Cherie

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis in Panama City

Unfortunately, the Radisson is in the middle of nowhere and it leaves you at the mercy of the taxi drivers no matter where you are going or coming from. But, $75 is what you would pay to go all the way to Colón. $75 is a HUGE rip-off to go to the Radisson. The fare is $28 and change for downtown, including tolls. I would negotiate for $40 and settle for no higher than $45 to go to the Radisson. If you offer it to a taxi driver and he doesn't like it, pull your bags and go to the next taxi.

One warning at Tocumen: The taxi wranglers will ask you where you are going and in the next second they will grab your bags and start putting them into a taxi. Next, you're pushed into the cab and you're on your way without a moment to check the fare. Do not let the taxi wranglers touch your luggage. If necessary, walk to the next taxi and line and negotiate the fare directly with the driver. Do not let the taxi wrangler set your fare for you. And, as I said, if you don't like the offer from one driver, go to the next. Chances are, the original driver will change his mind and take the fare.

Sorry you're stuck at the Radisson. It's like going to visit LA and getting a room in Riverside.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis in Panama City

Thank you for all of your good advice and information.

We are staying at the Radisson Summit because it seemed like a good place to relax on our first day in Panama, visit the Mira Flores Locks, and catch an afternoon plane to Bocas the next day. Also, Expedia ran a 1 day sale that was half the price of the hotel and all other websites. I live in L.A. and would not recommend Riverside either, but after reading TA reviews of the Radisson I thought it would be enjoyable for one night. We will be at the Marriott in Panama City two nights on our way back. Thank you again for all of your advice. Cherie

Las Cruces, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis in Panama City

what is a reasonable taxi fare from airport to shelter bay marina?

I am arriving next week

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,658 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis in Panama City

I hope you're meeting a yacht there. There is NOTHING for tourists in that area except boats passing through. You realize you are a good hour and a half from anywhere? The nearest town in Colón ... which even Panameños flee for their lives at 5 o'clock. But, getting to the point, from Tocumen I would expect to pay something between $75 and $125 ... one way. And, if you want to come into the city, figure an equal amount.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 03:45