We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Costa Rica to Panama City

Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling from Costa Rica to Panama City

Hello All,

Please help me the best you can everyone! I am currently planning a trip during April 2014 from Costa Rica to Panama City. What is the best mode of travel on a budget to do this? I checked flights and they are almost as expensive as travelling to and from the US.

I have been reading reviews here and it seems that tica bus is one company and quality bus is another. I am hesitant for both. I didn't read too many reviews on quality bus as of yet.

Also if someone can explain what this trip entails. I read about having to stay overnight somewhere. Where and is this included in the price or should I book this hotel ahead of time?

And how long should this ride take-10 hours?? Is it a 2 day trip? Are there other ways to travel from Costa Rica to Panama. Anything I should be concered about? We will be 3 girls with only one speaking 'some' Spanish. Please give us info. I will be researching from now until April.

Thanks all for you time.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Costa Rica to Panama City

Tica bus is one budget option used by many.

Hotels bult right into their major terminals so you can step off the bus right into the hotel.

Prices and schedules on their web site.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Costa Rica to Panama City

We just traveled from San Jose to Bocas el Toro and took the Caribe Shuttle which was $69 and it was excellent as they assist you through the border process which can be a nightmaare. It was well worth the money spent.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Costa Rica to Panama City

You can also try Air Panama, about $190 one way with a stopover in David.

https://www.airpanama.com/getflights.php…

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Costa Rica to Panama City

Copa is around $300 one way, no layovers.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Costa Rica to Panama City

Ticabus is about 17 hours including stops and border crossing.

6. Re: Traveling from Costa Rica to Panama City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:19