We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

Basically we wanted to visit a couple of locations in panama city on our long layover (13 hours, not including the immigration/customs time and the 2 hours before our evening flight leaves )and were wondering what the going rate per hour would be to rent a taxi driver to take us to

miraflores locks,San Felipe, Ruins of Old Panama, New City ,Cerro Ancon

and the Amador causeway

we wanted to compare if it would be cheaper to rent a taxi per hour or to get a tour operator ( I speak Spanish so I wouldn't need a English speaking taxi driver/ tour guide)

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,672 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

What time and day are you arriving?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

Friday 8:30 a.m. leave at 1130 pm ( so guess its 15 not 13)

3. Re: Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 13:51
Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,672 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

It looks like you'll have plenty of time to see all that you want. The closest on your list is Panama Viejo. It's only a few minutes away. But, if you want to see ships going through the Canal, you might want to head to Miraflores, first. Or, wait until around 3:00pm and go in the afternoon. The southbound ships should be getting to the locks around 4:00pm.

You have a couple of choices. One, hire one taxi to stay with you the whole time. Two, take different taxis from place to place. There are pros and cons for both. If you get taxis at each location to go to then next, you won't have to pay the driver to wait for you. But, if you hire one driver for the whole time, you should be able to get a good break. The cost per hour is $15 to $20. But, you should certainly be able to negotiate that to around $120 or so for 8 hours. That's about what you would pay if you took a taxi place-to-place for all those locations on your intinerary.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

I have a few suggestions which I got this information from a Trip Advisor reviewer. In the end I did not use them as I wasn't sure of my timing of my days itinerary so I can't personally recommend. The reviewer was very happy with the hire of an English speaking taxi driver who was reliable and courteous that only charged $10.00 an hour. He took them where ever they wanted and waited for them.They hired Anthony for 6 hours. His local number is #65878027. His brother Danilo Pierre also offers tour services. He has a van and is a tour guide so he might be more expensive. His number is 221-3620 or 6504-3805. I would suggest calling them up in advance to check availability and cost of their services. Hope the phone numbers are correct as it seems there are not the same amount of digits in each number.

I noticed you don't have Casco Viejo listed in the places to see. I would highly recommend you include visiting this area. There is so much to see in this old part of Panama. Check out Frommers Panama there is a good map on page 39 and key interest points to take note of for Casco Viejo. We got dropped off at 2nd Calle. At 1st calle by the water lots of souvenir stands and nice to walk around. Nice panoramic view of Panama City skyline. We walked all around Casco Viejo till 10th Calle and enjoyed the architecture. If you have a guide with you all the better as they can explain the history of what you are seeing.

6. Re: Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 00:35
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

Thank you for the Information.

Does anyone have any idea where the best place to get Panamanian souvenirs is?

I hear the airport shops are duty free( but I'm sure they still have "airport pricing")

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,672 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

What kind of souvenirs do you have in mind?

You're right about the airport shops and their prices.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

I found the best place to get Panamanian souvenirs was in Casco Viejo and a Kuna Indian Marketplace. The Kuna Indian Marketplace had a lot of Mola embroidery and every type of souvenir you could think of, but I could not tell you where it is located as our Caravan Tours took us there.

In Casco Viejo on 1 Calle (street) along the waterfront (skyline of Panama City) there are many tables of people selling souvenirs. From baseball caps at $5.00, purses with Mola designs, costume jewlery or Mola's starting at approx. $20.00 and up. You could find a wide variety there at reasonable prices. There is also a store we went into with a huge variety of all price ranges of Panamanian Hats. It is called Victor's Panama Hat. The prices range from $25.00/$35.00 to over $100.00. I looked up the address for you it is on Calle 3 between Avenida A & Avenida Central. There is also souvenir stands in Casco Viejo in Independence Square near Cathedral Church in Casco Viejo. There is also on one of the corners of the Square Rene Cafe. We had a 3 course lunch for $10.00 there. Check out their reviews on Trip Advisor if you plan to include Casco Viejo to visit.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Panama city tour Taxi per hour Going rate

Thank you for the locations.