We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best transportation option?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Best transportation option?

I will be in Panama City for one night. Arriving around 2:15pm in the afternoon and then taking the midnight bus to David the following night. What is the best way to get around the city to see some of the main sights without spending an arm and a leg? :) The Metrobus seems like the most cost efficient option, but is it easy to navigate? I am adventurous and do speak some Spanish, but am certainly not fluent! Would it be more advisable to taxi from place to place or does anyone have any recommendations on a reliable driver that could be booked at a reasonable rate? Thanks in advance!

Panama Your Way
City Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,920 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best transportation option?

Taxis in town are fairly cheap.

The metrobus is pay by card only - i don't know the practicalities.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best transportation option?

I don't have any experience with the MetroBus, so I can't help you there. I would say it kind of depends on where you are staying, what you want to do/accomplish with your limited time in Panama City and how adventurous you are. Personally, I'm very low-risk. Hubby and I generally stay at the Marriott in the banking district. On my most recent trip I found Uber and Tu Chofer (smart phone apps for private cars) to be more affordable than hotel taxis. If you want to hit a lot of spots in one day, probably the quickest method would be to negotiate a day rate with one of the hotel taxis. Or I like Easy Travel Panama (not cheap, but very good, reliable, bilingual and informative - www.easytravelpanama.net). If you are staying in Casco Viejo you could probably just stay there and walk around and fill up your time. If you want to spend a lot of time hailing taxis and negotiating your destination and price, that could be pretty inexpensive ($2-3 per trip). Finally, there is a hop on/hop off bus but I haven't bothered to figure out how to get tickets or where to pick it up. Your hotel could probably help you with that. Have fun!

3. Re: Best transportation option?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:16