We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama City, Coronado, Boquete and Bocas Suggestions

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Panama City, Coronado, Boquete and Bocas Suggestions

We are two retired females thinking of going to these areas in September and October. I could use some information about how to get around and any other important information people have. We were thinking of getting private transportation from Panama City to Coronado and then not having a car in Coronado, but I have seen information that a car may be easier. We would then want to make our way to Boquete and to Bocas back to Panama City to fly out. We are trying to save money but would renting a car be easier. Also is it possible to stay in Coronado and make a few day trips to see Panama City and the locks or cheaper just to do a few days in the city. If I do rent a car I would want to drive from the airport, after reading the forums about driving in the city itself. We could of course also fly to David.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panama City, Coronado, Boquete and Bocas Suggestions

First, tell us how much time you're planning to stay in Panama. It takes time to travel cheaply within the country. It takes money to travel quickly.

As for seeing things around the city, such as Miraflores, Casco Viejo, Soberania, etc., I think you are much better off staying in the ciy and taking taxis. Figure that you are a minimum of an hour from Coronado. Driving youself? You're doing exactly what we suggesst you avoid -- driving in the city. Otherwise, you're taking up a lot of time with getting a bus to Albrook terminal and then taking taxis from there and then a bux back ... that's crazy making. You can see everything in a couple of days. Stay in town and take taxis. Then, when you're ready to leave for Coronado, rent the car.

You can take busses to Boquiete and Bocas or you can fly or you can drive. Again, it depends on budget and time. Flying will be very expensive. You'll have to fly to Bocas and back to Panama to catch a flight to David to see Boquete. (Or vice versa.) But, that's also the fastest way. The cheapest and slowest is bus. If you choose this route, return the car to Albrook after Coronado. The one-way drop-off charges are horrendous.

The question is, if you take the bus to Boquete, how do you plan to get around once you're there? Having a car in and around Boquete is a plus. So, you might consider taking the bus to David nd renting a car there. Then, when you're ready to go to Bocas, return the car to David and take the bus to Almirante. Don't worry about having a car in Bocas; you don't need one.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panama City, Coronado, Boquete and Bocas Suggestions

Thanks for the great advice. We were thinking a month. We would like to check out different places for retiring to. I take it Albrook is the airport. I have been reading different posts and the bus sounded complicated will it be difficult from Panama City to David. Had not planned to drive in Panama City, but I was wondering how easy it is to get around Coronado without a car. Was planning on renting the car in David, unless you would recommend driving from Panama. I realize you don't need a car in Bocas, what do we have to do once we reach Almirante?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panama City, Coronado, Boquete and Bocas Suggestions

Panama to David on the bus is a straight shot, around 7 hours on a comfortable bus. I don't really know about Coronado but I would suggest renting a car in David to explore around the Boquete and Volcan area. You can either 4 hour bus it to Almirante or you can take a private shuttle from Boquete to Almirante and save some time because you dont need to go back through David. Once in Almirante you take a 30 minute water taxi to Isla Colon (bocas town) and explore from there.

4. Re: Panama City, Coronado, Boquete and Bocas Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:15