We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental and Driving question

Boston...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental and Driving question

We are looking to rent a car in panama city on a Saturday afternoon next month. We are doing a partial transit of the Canal and want to pick up the car afterwards and head out to our rental near San Carlos. It was suggested for us to use Dollar Rental and to pick up the car at El Dorado. We will have it for 10 days, we got a medium size vehicle with a gps. The quote that we received with mandatory insurance is $430 and full insurance is adding another $15 per day.

I am planning to pay for this on my VISA which provides CDW. I'm going to bring that documentation and decline the full insurance.

This is my first time to Panama, and the car rental system there seems a bit dicey, so I wanted to see if this plan makes sense.

Thanks !

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,306 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental and Driving question

That sounds reasonable. But, you will be better off picking up the car at the Dollar counter at Albrook (Gelabert) Airport. The traffic around El Dorado can be rough and you'll have to take Corredor Norte which is a toll road that accepts only pre-paid toll cards.

When you get out of the airport (or, if you do get the car at El Dorado, and reach the big roundabout at the end of Corredor Norte) your GPS will steer you wrong. It will have you go to the left to Puente de las Americas. Big mistake as far as traffic. Instead, go right on Ave. Omar Torrijos, past Miraflores and take Puente Centenario. It's a round about way, but it will save you time and headaches.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
18,519 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental and Driving question

If you do get the car from El Dorado, perhaps cross over the Corredor Norte to go directly between the mall and airport to pick up the route that gb suggests - but I agree with him that El Dorado is better avoided.

Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental and Driving question

We just rented a minivan for 15 days and the insurance was more than the van rental (over $700) at thrifty rental and that was after waiving collision with our credit card.

Boston...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental and Driving question

Thanks all for the information. We will plan to go with the rental pickup at Albrook Airport and avoid the El Dorado area. We want to make this as uncomplicated as possible. Also, glad to know what your cost was UtahPoetryQueen. I was worried that we were overpaying, but sounds like we in the ball park.

5. Re: Car Rental and Driving question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:16