We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Polyclinica San Fernando Norte (recommended hospital)

Fayetteville
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Polyclinica San Fernando Norte (recommended hospital)

I recently suffered a heart attack while on a Panama Canal cruise. I was taken to Polyclinica San Fernando Norte in Panama City, Panama. I highly recommend this hospital for any traveler seeking medical care. The doctors and other staff were exceptionally knowledgable and caring. The hospital facilities were top notch with the latest technology. Dr. Roberto Urena, Dr. Ruben Urena, Dr. Galileo Solis and Dr. Ricardo Lyma Young were especially helpful and considerate.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
623 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Polyclinica San Fernando Norte (recommended hospital)

I'm glad you have a positive experience from your medical emergency in Panama. Medical care outside of the U.S. can be superb or terrible. The care you receive depends mostly on the doctors taking care of you, and most doctors in Panama go to all hospitals, so look for the Doctors, not the facility. For cardiac emergencies I would recommend the cardiology group called "cardiologos asociados", top notch U.S. board certified with training in interventional cardiology. That's who takes care of my parents living in Panama. As for facilities and equipment, in order of preference I would recommend: Hospital Paitilla, Hospital Punta Pacifica, Hospital San Fernando (policlinica San Fernando Norte is one of the outpatient office buildings) and Hospital Nacional. Hospital Paitilla has the best equipment and facilities and has been around for 30 years. Hospital Punta Pacifica is the newest facility and it's still ironing some wrinkles, but has top notch facilities. Hospital San Fernando is the oldest private hospital and has fairly good facilities, but wouldn' be my first choice. Hospital Nacional has adequate facilities and equipment. Having worked as a physician in Panama and the U.S., I think most U.S. patients would be pleasantly surprised with the care.

2. Re: Polyclinica San Fernando Norte (recommended hospital)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 03:19