We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of living in American Samoa

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
Cost of living in American Samoa

I am retired and I want to relocate from the mainland of the U.S.A. to American Samoa. My only income is from Social Security, so my income limits me, but it is at least reliable. With these limited financial resources, my first and foremost concern is affordability. Does anyone have an answer to the followed two questions: (1) In comparison with mainland U.S. prices, how much should I expect to pay in order to rent a modest apartment or home? (I would be looking for a studio or 1 bedroom apartment). Could such an abode be found that would rent for $400 or less per month? (2) How expensive are food prices? (In particular: fruits, vegetables, and greens.) Any kind of feedback would be welcome, as I have not been able to obtain any information regarding these two issues anywhere else.

Pago Pago, American...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of living in American Samoa

You can a find nice place for that. Local produce is very cheap. Imported goods much higher. Utilities and gas are about the same as Hawaii. Not much to do except walk around. JW

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of living in American Samoa

Thanks for your reply. That was helpful.

Corpus Christi...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of living in American Samoa

Have you moved there yet and are you happy with your decision?

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of living in American Samoa

Keep us informed of what's it like and the cost of living there, I think many of us are curious to know, you never know, one day :)

Bonita Springs...
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of living in American Samoa

I am going to Panama in two months to see if I like it and to live there. I have recently done some research on living in American Samoa. I receive social security and a small private pension. i know that Medicare is accepted in all US territories so in one year I can use that for medical insurance. I have some American Samoan friends that live in Garden Grove California and have relatives that are still living on Tutulia. I am going to ask them more about the cost to live there. That maybe another option for me. I love the south pacific since I have friends that live in French Polynesia, specifically on Moorea only 800 miles from American Samoa.

Pago Pago, American...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of living in American Samoa

Where are the cheapest apartments here in American Samoa and how much is the monthly rent?

Edited: 24 March 2014, 03:51
Pago Pago, American...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of living in American Samoa

Where are the cheapest apartments here in American Samoa? Please I need this ASAP

Centreville...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of living in American Samoa

You can find them in the classified ads at www.samoanews.com

Pago Pago, American...
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of living in American Samoa

There is an influx of new, modern, apartments built for low income residents. They are pretty nice.

r e
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of living in American Samoa

9-15-14

Cost of living is very high

Examples

Gas higher than Hawaii

Food at grocery store higher than Hawaii

Electric outrageous

Water outrageous

Insurances outrages