We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Day Trips from Annapolis?

Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good Day Trips from Annapolis?

My husband and I are rather new to the area, and we enjoy going on day trips and seeing various new places around here. Can someone suggest some interesting/fun/pretty destinations within a 2-3 hour drive from Annapolis? We've done Ocean City/Rehoboth area, DC, Solomon's Island, St. Michael's, Cambridge, Easton and Kent Island. We prefer nice scenery over big cities...any ideas? Thanks!

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Day Trips from Annapolis?

-Lancaster, PA

-Gettysburg, PA

-Williamsburg, VA

-Frederick, MD

-Shenandoah, VA

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
635 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Day Trips from Annapolis?

To Mrs. Maryland's list, I would add Harper's Ferry, Chinqateage (sp?), and Chestertown.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Day Trips from Annapolis?

Harper's Ferry is a great place to visit. River and Trail Outfitters offers many fun tubing and kayaking trips in the area...all are fairly easy in great scenery. It's easiest to park at the Visitor's Center and take the bus to the town. From the town, you canexplore the old buildings, visit museums, or walk on a bridge over the Shenandoah (or Potomac--I forget which) to the C and O Canal Towpath.

Frederick, MD is surprisingly interesting. We just did a day trip to the Monacacy Battlefield (visitor center is small, but well done), downtown Frederick, and Cunningham Falls State Park. The Monocacy Battlefield is tucked in just a mile from suburban sprawl, but feels a world away, and has a nice auto tour. Cunningham Falls State Park and Catoctin National Park are just fifteen minutes up US 15 from Frederick...both are beautiful mountain parks with lots of scenery.

You're within 2-3 hours of some of my favorite PA state parks, which are always free. Caledonia is a busy park along Rt 30, west of Gettysburg, and has nice paved trails, bridges, and Thaddeus Stevens' blacksmith shop. Pine Grove Furnace, a little farther north, has two small lakes and a great day hike to Pole Steeple. (Both are along the Appalachian Trail.)

In the first two weeks of October, you can check out the National Apple Harvest Festival north of Gettysburg. It's definitely scenery over big city! You'll park in a field and take a school bus to the South Mountain Fairgrounds, where every local organization from a 20 mile radius will try to sell you apple fritters, apple pie, apple pizza, apple cider, apple daiquiris...it's really a lot of fun.

4. Re: Good Day Trips from Annapolis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 09:23