We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crab Cakes

Wake Forest NC
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Crab Cakes

My husband has charged me with finding a recommendation for the best crab cake in the Annapolis area. We will be there late in August, and will have a car, but prefer to find it near downtown where we are staying. I know to stay away from Phillips. Am thinking from reviewing earlier posts that O'Leary's is the best bet, althought Crab Cakes are not specifically mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
The Annapolis Inn
The Annapolis Inn
103 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
O'Leary's Seafood Restaurant
O'Leary's Seafood...
350 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
15 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crab Cakes

If you are willing to drive a bit (like 30 minutes), go to Timbuktu in Hanover. Trust me...it will be worth your time. Best crab cakes I have ever had. www.timbukturestaurant.com

Mentioned in this post
Hanover
Hanover
Maryland
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crab Cakes

Most restaurants in Annapolis has some type of crabcake on their menu. I have them allot of places, but none really distinguish themselves in my mind. Really, some of the best crabcakes around are out of the area in less than glamorous more remote locations.

G&M in Lithincum, which is about 30 minutes from Annapolis, are widely recognized by many as the best around. However, G&M is a dive with no ambiance whatsoever.

Timbuktu's as mentioned by the other poster also has great crabcakes, but again it is a total dive.

O'Leary's is a great upscale seafood restaurant, which probably has a very good crabcake. I have never had them there so I cannot comment. However, everything that I have had there is top notch. I can guarantee that will be a much more pleasant location and a better dining experience than some of the "best crabcake" places.

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
O'Leary's Seafood Restaurant
O'Leary's Seafood...
350 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crab Cakes

As newtomd mentioned, almost every restaurant in Annapolis will serve crab cakes. I have sampled many, and agree that one does not stand out more than another one. However, I have heard raves about Galway Bay which is on Maryland Ave in Annapolis (historic district). It is an Irish pub/restaurant, but they have some excellent seafood choices including an appetizer portion or a meal sized crab cake entree. It has a quaint atmosphere and is loved by the locals. You won't feel like you are in a tourist trap. Also, many visitors forgo this street and shop only on Main Street. There are many unique and interesting stores on this street as well, and you can enjoy both.

If you don't have a long ride home, I would suggest getting some crab cakes to go at Annapolis Seafood shop. It is several miles out of town on Forest Drive and you can get baseball sized jumbo lump cakes ( all of our guests who have had them say they are the best). They come with a hefty hefty price tag, but you can bring them home baste with butter and bake until golden brown.

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Galway Bay
Galway Bay
673 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Maryland
Maryland
United States
AnnapolisMD
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crab Cakes

I agree that Galway Bay is a nice alternative. Cantler's also has pretty good crabcakes, but they are really the place to pick crabs. O'Learys does have good crabcakes in a more formal setting.

Hands down the best crabcakes are at Annapolis Seafood Market. The one in Severna Park will cook them for you. They are about $15 a piece, but a full half pound of jumbo lump goodness. If the Annapolis shop cooks them, grab some cakes and make your way to quiet waters park for a picnic. You can grab some gourmet cheese and bread at the gourmet market on Forest on your way to the seafood market and have a nice feast.

Mentioned in this post
Galway Bay
Galway Bay
673 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
The Annapolis Inn
The Annapolis Inn
103 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crab Cakes

Yes the Annapolis location will cook them as well. They are about $30.00/lb, with one cake averaging about 8 ounces. Trust me though, they are worth it. Maryland Jumbo lump crabmeat runs about $35/lb, so the fact that they are almost 100 percent crab meat, it's not so far from the going rate.

Mentioned in this post
The Annapolis Inn
The Annapolis Inn
103 Reviews
Annapolis, MD
Maryland
Maryland
United States
6. Re: Crab Cakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 11:23