We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift Package

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gift Package

I'm working on getting gift certificates (hotel and dinner) for a weekend get away for a wedding gift. The dates they will visit are unknown, so it is hard to research pricing, etc. I am leaning toward O'Callaghan's because it isn't a chain and will force the couple to visit Annapolis. I was told that Buddy's is a good, reasonably priced restaurant. Or should I go with something like Carol's Creek or O'Leary's. I just worry that they will go on a busy weekend and have to wait hours for one of these fine dining restaurants. I want something unique and delicious. Any suggestions?

annapolis, md
Level Contributor
377 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift Package

The O'Callahan is a good choice-- I had a friend who stayed there and the room was pretty standard... a little on the small side but very clean. We stayed at the Loews when we moved here (it was about 4 years ago) and this was very nice.

Both the O'Callahan and Loews have restaurants/bars. I haven't eaten at the O'Callahan but the Loews has very good food. I did get a free beer at the O'Callahan since I'm a local so they are okay in my book. :)

I am not a fan of Buddy's. Too many children, not the least bit romantic. I always feel greasy when I leave there-- I don't know if it's the buffet that they have set-up or if their ventallation system is lousy. I would not purchase a gift certificate there.

If you're looking for unique and delicious, the best choices are the Wild Orchid (410.268.8009) or Northwoods in West Annapolis (410.268.2609). Neither of these are on the water. I don't like the atmosphere in O'Learys but the food is very good.

I'm a fan of the Charthouse but it is a chain restaurant (a high end one but still a chain)... this is where we always take out out-of-town family members... it's on the water and has a nice atmosphere (410.268.7166). Carrol's Creek also has excellent food... Despite being on the water, I'm not too crazy about the decor; however the food outweighs those shortcomings (410.263.8102).

Not sure about Carrol's Creek but I know reservations are recommended (almost mandatory) for the others on busy weekends. You'd have to check w/Carrol's Creek about that one.

Hope this helps. I love this town-- I'm not sure why more people don't post about it. Please feel free to ask more questions-- there is another frequent poster who lives here so I'm sure he'll offer some suggestions too.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift Package

nowen,

Buddy's is fine for brunch with a group...but not so much for dinner...It is a joyously greasy and loud place...not really a honeymoon dining spot.

My perfect Annapolis dining night is cocktails at the Chart House...followed by dinner at Lewnes. Then a stroll back over the bridge to downtown....first grab a cup of Gelato at Cafe Di'Aroma (purveyors to the Italian Embassy!!!)...stroll the dock, window shop while climbing Main St. and eventually end up at 49 West for coffee, drinks and maybe some more dessert.

With the sun setting over Spa Creek, backlighting the State House dome...the water glistening orange and pink pastels...In a renovated boat builders shed (Trumpy Yachts), The Chart House is the best located bar in town (the dining room doesn't have the same view)...but I'm not a fan of the entrees....or the prices. Lewnes is one block off the water...one block from the Chart House...and is our very own high end steak house....lux...leather booths....etc. It is directly next door to Ruth's Chris...and continues to thrive.

O'Callaghans is a fine choice; the immediate area has been upgraded with some new shops and restaurants. (brand new...opened this weekend...a Thai, Lemon Grass, and a "Continental", The Metropolitan). However, hotels in Annapolis don't seem to generate a large amount of positive reviews...The B&Bs on the other hand...do.

Some other nice downtown restaurants are Piccolo Roma and Maria's (both upscale Italian..I prefer Maria's), Cafe Normandie (country French with local twists...e.g.Crab Crepes), Yin Yankee Cafe (wasabi infused everything)...and Joss(complete Japanese, more than sushi and sashimi))...even The Rams Head Tavern can be fun...a nice wisteria covered table outside sipping one of their self brewed ales...a great deal is offered there as well...they have a nice little music room (250 seats) that draws national acts. Might be a nice add to the basket.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift Package

Thank you both for the great information!! My friends do have a 3 year old that may or may not accompany them for the weekend. I'm not sure if this changes any restaurant recommendations, but please let me know. I will check out the websites for all of these restaurants that you suggested. I am falling in love with this city just planning the trip!! Too bad I'm in Michigan so cannot go for a weekend get away myself!!