We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton or Westin

Which Annapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Sheraton or Westin

I'm a Starwood member so can stay in the Sheraton or Westin, the Westin being a little more. Can you describe both hotels, is the Westin that much nicer than the Sheraton? I'm wondering if it would be worth more to stay there. Are there any outdoor areas to sit in either hotel? Thanks for any info. ;o)

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton or Westin

The Sheraton has been in town for many years and it has been renovated several times so it still looks modern. It is located near the mall, which about 3 miles from the downtown historic area. There are several restaurants next door and even more in the mall area. They have a shuttle that I frequently see in downtown Annapolis and I would encourage using it because of parking. It has easy access to Route 50 and I97. It has an indoor pool, but I am not aware of any outside sitting area. I have stayed there when we lost power in the past and it is fine hotel.

The Westin is practically new in a new development on mid West Street called Park Place. Park Place is not yet fully occupied and its location will be enhanced once it going. The Westin is walkable (but a fairly long walk) to the historic area (but I would take the shuttle or cab after dark) as West Street is still in a revitalization stage. There are sveral restaurants within very close walking distance and dozens others in the historic area. I do not think that the Westin has any outside seating, but it is close to some restaurants that have limited outside seating. I have never stayed there but since it is new, I would imagine that it is pretty nice.

You did not say how much of price difference that there was and there are pros and cons to both. I don't think that you would go wrong either way.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
670 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton or Westin

As a local, I've never stayed in either of these, but their locations are quite different. First, the Westin is brand new, and the Sheraton is much alder, although it boasts a recent "total renovation" on its website. But as to locations, the Sheraton is situated near the mall, across route 50 from the true downtown area of Annapolis. The mall has recently been revamped and expanded - it;s quite nice if you like to shop - and there are the typical eatereies in the immediate vicinity of the Sheraton, like Fudrucker's , Famous Dave's etc. The mall offers a few newer upscale dining options but nothing like the Main Street Area or Eastport, which are in the downtown harbor area. The Westin is on West Street, in the downtown area, on the edges of the historic district. At either hotel, you will probably want to confirm the availability of a shuttle to downtown. The Westin is walkable to the Main Street and harbor area, but it is a hike, and not something I would want to do after a late dinner.

NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton or Westin

Actually I have enough points to get 3 nights free at the Starwood and only 2 nights at the Westin, so would have to pay for the third night at the Westin. I really want to stay at the Westin but not sure its worth paying for the last night. Is the Westin by a cemetary? When I look at the photos it seems like all I see is a huge cemetary. Thanks for all the info. ;o)

NY
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton or Westin

One more question, is it bikable from the Westin to downtown area? Is it a busy road, highway? Any other nice biking areas (flat) please let me know. We personally like nice parks, and particularly by the water.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
670 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton or Westin

Yes, the Westin is near a cemetery, but I wouldn't think that would be a significant factor in a decision to stay there. You can easily bike from the Westin to the harbor area. In fact, I think it wouldn't be too,too difficult to bike from the Sheraton, either, if you're used to riding on/along some busy roads. Although I know they added a bike lane to the recently constructed ramp from Jennifer Road to West STreet, If I was coming from the Sheraton, I think I would bike to the other side of the mall and take Bestgate Rd./Rowe Boulevard into downtown. I'm not sure how far this is, but it should be do-able. You could also diverge from the main route by taking Bestgate to Left on North Bestgate to Right on Ridgely which will parallel Bestgate/Rowe Boulevard, but on a more scenic, less crowded roadway (albeit, a bit more hilly)

6. Re: Sheraton or Westin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 19:19