We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy Point State Park

NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Sandy Point State Park

We will be in Annapolis for fourth of July weekend and would like to go to a beach that is not too far away. Sandy Point State Park looks like the only option. We have difficulty walking. Could someone please tell me what the parking situation is like at Sandy Point. Do you have to get there really early to get a parking spot? Is it a long walk onto the beach and from the beach to restrooms? Any other suggestions regarding close by beaches are welcome too.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
740 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandy Point State Park

I would e-mail your questions to sandypoint@dnr.state.md.us-- I have not used the beach there but have used the boat launch ramps from time to time. There is lots of parking, but I don't know if it would be full on July 4th. Surely the park people could give you that information. There are parking areas quite close to the beach and rest room facilities.

Edited: 14 June 2010, 13:52
Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,816 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandy Point State Park

It will be VERY crowded that weekend -- as it is on any hot weekend -- so make sure you get there very early. Do you have a handicap tag? If not, the parking lot is not too far from the beach, and IIRC, the bathrooms are not that far either.

Maryland
Level Contributor
42 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandy Point State Park

I think Sandy Point gets filled to capacity pretty much every July 4th, so you'd want to plan to get there early. I believe Qyueen Anne's County has a public beach, but you'd have to cross the Bay Bridge to get there.

NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandy Point State Park

Thank you so much for your responses. I sent email to the park and already received a response. They said the park opens at 6:00 a.m. and we should plan to get there by 8:00 a.m. to get a good parking space. They also said that the park closes due to overcrowding on busy weekends and that can happen as early as 11:00 a.m. I do realize these are all estimates, but appreciate the advice.

5. Re: Sandy Point State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 06:15