We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC to Annapolis on a weekday

Which Annapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boca Raton FL
Level Contributor
241 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
DC to Annapolis on a weekday

We've just decided to rent a car to leave DC next Tues Sep 7 around 11am, to get to a departure flight at BWI at 7:30pm:

This is so we can do lunch and an afternoon whirlwind tour of Annapolis.

What is the best route, considering traffic, etc to take from DC?

We leave from F+21st St NW close to Geo W.Univ/Lincoln Memorial more or less.

What time should we leave Annapolis to get to BWI offsite car rental area by 6pm?

Any route advice?

From previous posts, I have at tentative schedule:

Get to a waterfront restaurant for lunch

Self tour of Capitol and the Naval Academy Museum,etc

and MAYBE time for a sail on Woodwind (doubt it, and haven't checked its schedule yet)

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC to Annapolis on a weekday

Route 50 is the most direct route you can take from DC to Annapolis. Just take K street (rt 29) east to New York Ave (rt 50). rt 50 turns into a highway just outside of downtown DC.

I would give yourself an hour to get to the airport. Take 50 west to 97 north. You should see signs for BWI on 50 before 97. It should only take 20-25 mins without traffic but 97 can get backed up during rush hour, so I would try to get on the road by 5 sharp.

I'll leave restaurant recommendations for people more familiar with Annapolis than myself.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC to Annapolis on a weekday

Parking can be an issue for you when you are in Annapolis. Street parking is restricted and meter parking are both 2 hour limit. I would strongly advise to park in one of the garages, though they can fill up. Being that it is the Tuesday after Labor Day, you might be ok.

Off of Rt 50 follow signs for Naval Academy and get off Exit 24 for Rowe Blvd You will take a right. This will bring you into the historic district. Once you cross the second bridge (college creek) you will veer right and end up on Northwest Street. On your right just seconds away will be the Gott's Court Garage entrance. Right next door to the facility is the visitor's center. You can pop in quick and get a map of the historic district.

If you happen to reach Church Circle (a round about) you have gone too far but then you can attempt to reach Hillman Garage.

At the circle take your 4th right hand turn on Duke of Gloucester Street. This is a one way residential street and the parking garage is quite hidden on your left hand side and it sneaks up on you so stay in the left hand lane of the two lane one way road, and be prepared to take a left about a half mile or less down the road.

This garage is the most centrally located one, so but it fills up quite fast.

There are several waterfront/waterview restaurants but to save you time and walking, I would strongly recommend Hell Point Seafood, which is right near the entrance to the Naval Academy with views of the water. If you park at Gott's, I would recommend you go to the State Capital First, then lunch, then the Academy.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC to Annapolis on a weekday

Notwithstanding that it is a chain, Chart House in Eastport (across a very small bridge from downtown area has a great water view.

Also can eat outside at Pusser's, I believe at the Marriott. I like Middleton Tavern which has an outdoor deck to eat but is not "on" the water.

4. Re: DC to Annapolis on a weekday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2011, 06:19