We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Annapolis

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Annapolis

Can you recommend a good itinerary of the hi-lites of Annapolis? We are an active couple in our 30's with varied interests. We will be coming for a day trip on a weekend at the end of March or beginning of April.

I see there are a lot of things to do here but I'm not sure what the highlites are as the number one thing listed in Annapolis on here is a kid's pirate boat.

We are trying to keep costs down as we are going to Iceland at the end of May, but we can afford the price of admission to a can't miss attraction or two, plus we will be eating lunch and possibly dinner here as well so dining recommendations in the city center are appreciated.

Thanks!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Annapolis

Walk around town and the Naval Academy for free

There are also walking tours and boat tours you can take. I went last April (it wasn't my first time) and my friend had arranged a walking tour, which included town, the Capitol Building and some of the Academy grounds.

We also took a boat ride for $12 or so. That was just a spur of the moment thing. I don't think there are any "must dos" really. You live close by so it not like you can't come back.

This is where we ate lunch: http://chickandruths.com/. They have a bunch of more fancy type places.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Annapolis

The noon formation at the Naval Academy is really nice to see.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,124 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Annapolis

Lot's of good restaurants around the Harbor and on main street.

Or just get a really good sandwich from the Big Cheese and sit outside by ego alley.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Annapolis

Thanks, all lots of good ideas. I think once the weather gets a bit warmer and we can take food outside we will set a date.

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to Annapolis

I think the first place you should stop at upon arriving to Annapolis is the great visitors center which is right off of Church Circle. Go to www.VisitAnnapolis.org

They have a great official visitors guide that includes all the must know facts when traveling to Annapolis.

This publication also includes a self guided walking tour map which will guide you through the cobblestone streets so you can see some nice examples of colonial homes, churches, museums and 18th Century buildings and other important attractions. It gives a brief description of each site, its significance, and the walk is easy and can be done quite quickly. It will give you a great overall introduction to the historic district.

If you want a real casual lunch you may want to try: Boatyard Bar & Grill, Aromi D'Italia, Chick & Ruth's deli (I'm not the biggest fan but many visitors and locals love it), 49 West Coffeehouse, or like neslaw suggested the Big Cheese (but only if the weather is fine as there is no indoor seating),

If you would like a bit more sophistication but still casual and are willing to pay more, you may want to try Hell Point Seafood, Ristorante Piccola Roma, Osteria 177, or Harry Browne's.

Don't forget too, that even though Main Street holds the bulk of shops, boutiques and eateries, Maryland Avenue is also a quaint street that offers some hidden treasures as well.

6. Re: day trip to Annapolis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 19:17