We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good beaches near Annapolis?

az
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Topic
Good beaches near Annapolis?

I'm going to Annapolis to drop off my daughter for school in June. We'll have a car. I know my younger daughter will want to go to the beach. Any good suggestions for beaches?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good beaches near Annapolis?

IMHO, there are no "good" beaches near Annapolis. Closest is Sandy Point State Park which is on the chesapeake, just next to the bay bridge about 10 minutes outside of Annapolis. It is a small beach and is picturesque but it is not the ocean which is 2 hours away to Ocean City.

az
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good beaches near Annapolis?

Maybe I'll drive to Ocean City then. Thanks for the reply

California
Level Contributor
397 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good beaches near Annapolis?

Excuse me for sounding ignorant but we have never been to the East Coast. We too are droppng our son off at school in June. We will have our daughter with us as well. I was looking at places to stay with beaches or nice outside swimming pools. Can anyone give my any info on how far Chesapeake Beach Resort is from Annapolis? We will be renting a car and we are just curious....We were also thinking about driving to Ocean City as well. Any tips or good out door pools or if Chesapeake Beach Resort is worth it ...Would be appreciated.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good beaches near Annapolis?

Google lists it as being 45 mins from Annapolis.

Here are some reviews from TA

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=chesapeake+beach+resort+and+spa&sub-search=Search&geo=28941&returnTo=__2F__ShowForum__2D__g28941__2D__i100__2D__Maryland__2E__html

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good beaches near Annapolis?

Mapquest indicates the town of Chesapeake Beach is a 55 minute drive from Annapolis, but that seems a high estimate to me, having been there many times. Chesapeake Beach is a small town which is growing and gentrifying some. It has one new spa-type hotel, which is also adjacent to a water fun park. There is a new pier at the beach. During the latter (but not early) part of the summer, Bay waters are plagued by stinging jellyfish. Serious beachgoers pretty much stick to Ocean beaches such as Ocean City, Rehoboth Beach, and Virginia Beach which are highly built up with miles of tall hotels, souvenir shops, and amusements.

3 miles north directly up the coast from Chesapeake Beach, is an old-fashioned motel resort called "Herrington Harbour" ("Harbor?) which has an Olympic-sized outdoor pool, along with landscaped plantings and a festive bar "Mangos".

You all will really enjoy Annapolis, It's very charming and historic with narrow walkable streets, gift shops with a nautical theme, many art shops, and harbor cruises.

Edited: 28 March 2011, 15:14
California
Level Contributor
397 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good beaches near Annapolis?

Thank you so much! I apprecaite all the tips. We are excited.

az
Level Contributor
238 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good beaches near Annapolis?

I'm excited about going as well. Thanks for the info. We're going to have two full days. Think we'll spend one day at Ocean Beach and one day in DC

8. Re: Good beaches near Annapolis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 21:17